Thursday, August 3, 2017

Chanel Rouge Allure in 178 New Prodigious and Chanel Rouge Allure Ink in 160 Rose Prodigious

Chanel launched a few new lip colors on National Lipstick Day and I'm pleased to report that there are at least two that made it to my current favorites list: the Rouge Allure lipstick in New Prodigious and the Rouge Allure Ink in Rose Prodigious.






I think of them as a super summer duo. I use the Rouge Allure Ink as a stain and then I put on the Rouge Allure lipstick for a healthy dose of shine and color. It's no secret that I'm all about rose lipsticks these days and I'm glad that before summer ended I found a couple that I truly love and will wear through the rest of the season and beyond.

I know that the swatch of Rose Prodigious looks intimidatingly red. Swatching it on the arm, it looked so very similar to Choquant that I was worried. But when I sheered it out, I could definitely see that Rose Prodigious had a smidgen more pink to it. I employed the same tactic that I did with Choquant and used it more as a stain, making a few dots on the upper and lower lips before spreading it all out with fingers. The resulting cherry-stained color makes a great base so that when the lipstick fades, I still don't look washed out.






Another way to make color last longer is to use a liner before the lip color (old knowledge, I know). I tested several liners to pair with the Rouge Allure lipstick in New Prodigious and determined that the best way to go was with either a slightly darker rose color like some old favorites of mine the Revlon Lipliner in Pink or the old and now discontinued Chanel Pink Sugar. It also works with the Dior Lipliner Pencil in 463 Bois de Rose (and this liner is quite perfect to pair with the Rouge Allure Ink in Rose Prodigious too). However, if wanting to play up the pink in the lipstick instead of deepening the rose, something like the Rimmel Exaggerate Full Colour Lip Liner in You're All Mine will be perfect. This line of Rimmel lipliners are so underrated. I've collected a few myself and I like them almost as much as I like the Revlon lipliners, if only for the more varied color selection (they have more lighter colors which I feel Revlon doesn't have) and the unbeatable price.




One last thing to note is that while the Rouge Allure Ink in Rose Prodigious is a matte shade, the lipstick in New Prodigious is not. There are sparkles that become more apparent in sunlight as you might be able to see in the picture above. I think that the sparkles give the color more warmth so that there's almost a coral shift to it in certain lighting. Almost but not quite. The color still stays firmly grounded in the pink/rose category. There is a certain translucency to the color of the lipstick though. Even when applied in three layers, I feel like my natural lip color still comes through so I think that these two are really great when worn together. I can get away with just one layer of lipstick and still get the depth I want supplied by the Rouge Allure Ink in Rose Prodigious. And if I'm feeling just a little more bold, I might switch it up and wear the lipstick first before topping it with the liquid Rose Prodigious. Pair with flawless skin, defined brows and the most neutral of eye makeup and all they will be talking about will be your lips. That's not a bad thing.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this review and for the pictures. I was struggling to find swatches online for these. The Rouge Allure Ink in 160 Prodigieux looks fantastic! :-)

    ReplyDelete