Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Laura Mercier Read My Lips Lip Duos in Roses and Nudes

For Nordstrom Anniversary, Laura Mercier offers up three new items: Laura's Luxe Eye & Cheek Palette and the Read My Lips Duos. I felt like I wasn't going to use the palette much, if at all, so I zeroed in on the duos. If you're like me and you like to have matching lip liners for your lipsticks, these combos are worth a look.





The Read My Lips duos are a set of two lip items. You get a Velour Lovers Lip Colour and a Lip Pencil, both in full size. Value-wise, you're basically paying for the lipstick and getting the lip liner for free. On whether or not they are worth your time, that depends on whether or not you've tried both products before. They are part of the regular Laura Mercier line so I own several shades of both the lipstick and the liner. The lipstick is matte. So if you're not a fan of that, I definitely recommend looking elsewhere. That said, as someone who isn't necessarily big on matte, I don't find these to be overwhelmingly flat-looking or drying when on. They're ok lipsticks in a mid-range price for department store brands. But even as a regular of Laura Mercier, her lipsticks are not something I tend to buy on their own or collect. To me, the selling point is getting a liner to go with it.

I'm big on rose-colored lippies so the Roses set was a no-brainer. Also, I didn't yet have the liner in Plumberry so it was a very safe purchase on my part. The color is reminiscent of last holiday's Iconic Leading Lady Lip Set in Sophia, which I talked about here. If you have one of those, you don't need this. However, this set comes with a pencil and not a lip gloss. The pencil is a little more difficult to sell because it's quite firm and not a lot of people like that if they intend to use the pencil before applying the lipstick, especially if you intend to fill in the entire lip area with it. I use the pencil to outline the lips and even out imperfections after I've applied lipstick. This pencil works fine if used that way. If you insist on filling in the entire lip area with the pencil, just sharpen with the included sharpener and use the pencil on its side.





The Nudes set had me thinking a little. On the whole, I felt like these Anniversary offerings are just a reiteration of last holiday's lipstick and lip gloss sets. The Nudes set is a lot like the Iconic Leading Lady Lip Set in Catherine which I did not love. I already have the Baby Lips liner so that was something I didn't need. But after trying on the lipstick, I realized that it was a little darker than the Velour Lovers Lip Colour in Catherine. I was wearing a really bright, almost orangey red top that day and it looked really good with what I had on. Red clothes tend to mess me up a little because I always feel like there are only two lipstick options that don't clash with it. It's either match it with a red lipstick or go neutral. This color (Attraction) fills a certain niche nicely for me because it doesn't lean pink and it's not brown either. The Laura Mercier artist added a golden beige gloss to top off the lipstick, when I asked for her suggestions of other ways to wear it. I think I'm going to use the Catherine Lip Glacé instead.

The swatches of the Read My Lips Duos are below. The lip pencils included are available in the regular line. They are $25 apiece and are also packaged with a sharpener. The two shades of the Velour Lovers Lipsticks are not available the regular line. As far as I can tell, they can only be purchased as part of these duos.




Overall, this is a good value if you know that you are fine with the Laura Mercier Velour Lovers lipsticks and their Lip Pencils. If they're not your favorite formulas, MAC has some interesting sets in their regular line at a similar price point and they have some for Nordstrom Anniversary as well. That might be worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment