Sunday, June 18, 2017

Urban Decay UD Jean-Michel Basquiat Collection

I think Karen at Makeup and Beauty Blog said it best: this is UD's best collection ever. I don't normally go around buying entire collections, not even when they are on sale like these are now and yet here I am, completely tempted to grab the rest that I originally didn't get.


UD Jean-Michel Basquiat Collection

I started with the Gold Griot Eyeshadow Palette which I saw her write a post about. It was a practical set of colors, with a "just for fun" shade thrown in here and there. I quite agree that the quality is there, and the packaging has the right aesthetic. Everything looks good and is good.


UD Jean-Michel Basquiat Gold Griot Eyeshadow Palette

I stopped myself from grabbing the blush palette initially, because I still had several blushes that I hadn't opened. And yet when they went on sale, all thoughts of practicality just went out the window. Even the three lipsticks went into the basket.




The thing is, it's such a cohesive bunch. The entire collection fits. If you had only this eye palette, only the blush palette and only the lippies from the collection, your makeup would still look great because you can find the right combinations within the collection. You just can't go wrong.

I drew the line at the eyeliners because I knew I really would not use the colors. I also did not get the second eyeshadow palette. I didn't think I needed all those colors as I still had several rather colorful palettes that I hadn't even touched yet. But overall, if I had gotten everything, I mean everything, I don't think that I would have regretted it.








I seriously thought about going back for that second eye palette though. On the day that I decided that I would use the Exhibition lipstick, I found myself longing for more color. But Sephora was out of it by then. Building my makeup from the lipstick up, I started with Exhibition, and then I decided to use the blush/highlighter in Now's the Time on my eyes and Noho on the cheeks. Hey, that's works too!


UD Jean-Michel Basquiat Lipsitcks
Left: Abstract, Middle: Exhibition, Right: Epigram

The Epigram lipstick works with the Jawbone blush/bronzer. I used it with the brown/bronze shades in the Gold Griot Eye Palette (Sucker Punch and Influence) for a natural bronzed look. The Abstract lipstick is my least favorite of the bunch but when I put it on barefaced, I was surprised that it did not make me look completely washed out. I was longing for a hint of pink as it was very tan but the color didn't look bad. Overall, the three lipsticks were shades I simply would never pick out of a lineup but they all looked and felt good on. Full color in one swipe. Now that's what I'm talkin' about! On days when I feel like getting out of the usual, I could pick any one of them and build a look from there.




On the Gold Griot palette, I'm very pleased with the inclusion of a midtone color that can be used as a base for many combinations (Levitation) and a beige brow bone shade that works well for me (Enigma). On top of it all, I'm just thrilled at how well these eyeshadows apply. I don't even use an eye base and I use the included double-ended brush! I pair everything with the Pistol eyeliner (I think it's the Naked2 eyeliner, the other end is Perversion), a taupe that gives just a hint of definition to let the eyeshadow colors dominate the eye area. Overall, a very well done collection that I've lived on for the past two weeks (read: I haven't touched any other eye palette or blush). Even if it's just to keep a pretty palette to look at (oh, you can hang them up! they've got the hardware) and you'll never use the makeup, these are such a good buy. Get them while they're available!





No comments:

Post a Comment