Monday, May 29, 2017

Guerlain Terracotta Sun Trio and Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Luminous Colour

I have a couple of items that I bought as soon as they came out because I like to keep updated with the Terracotta line of Guerlain and Les Beiges by Chanel. I thought I'd write this piece about the two of them together, just by way of saying, they were both underwhelming and possibly unnecessary updates to the line.

The Guerlain Terracotta Sun Trio Bronzing Contouring Palette comes in three shades, as far as I've seen. I have Light, the lightest one, and the other two are Natural and Deep. Maybe I bought the wrong shade or I'm using it wrong but there's something not quite right about the way this applies on me. It's so hard to use it as a contouring trio because the division makes it so that the highlighting and contouring shades are very tiny. I have a hard time getting my brush on just one color at a time. But if I swish my brush on the entire lot, all three shades, this actually feels more like a too-yellow face powder on my light skin. The culprit, I think, is the large bottom half of the compact, which has that yellow-toned powder. So if you think of it as a contouring trio, that bottom half should be your true match and for me, it's just off.




I realize that if I tried the darker shade (Natural), maybe I could make it work as bronzer, just swishing my brush over the entire thing every time. Or I could make do with the one I have, with some effort. I figure that if I can evenly get more of the darkest shade on the brush... ok, you know what? Too much work. I guess I'll keep it as my compact for the summer, to stow in my purse. But, still not sure of the proper niche for this Sun Trio in my collection.




The Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Luminous Colour has a similar problem. I'm not too sure where it fits in. I didn't really know what I was buying, so again, I bought the lightest shade. Big mistake. The shade Light, the lightest of five offerings, is basically a sheer peach powder. I don't know how many people have a lot of use for a sheer peach powder, unless they have a peach undertone, in which case, this could work as a face powder. Not a foundation as there is zero coverage, but just a sheer, luminous face powder. I have figured out that this would be the highlight shade in this new line. But when I try to use it as a highlighter, it doesn't do much for me.





I'm trying to remember what peach works for, as far as color-correcting goes. I'm thinking peach works on dark circles under the eyes? So I tried to use it like the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders. But I don't think it improved my appearance in any way. I could certainly do without it. I don't actually think it does anything for me, to be honest. Since I bought mine straight from Chanel, I can't exchange it for a darker shade. So there's $58 down the drain.




The original Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Colour Powder line was a masterful stroke and I don't think they needed to add more compact powders to the line because every single one that they've added just felt like a redundancy. Another, what the heck is this for, powder. Now there's even a new cushion compact arriving. Sigh. I'm going to pass on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment