Saturday, May 20, 2017

Chanel Ombre Première Eyeshadows: more colors



As promised, I have the rest of the Chanel Ombre Première Eyeshadows photographed and swatched for reference. This is a massive collection and I don't even have half of it but these 7 colors are my picks. I haven't been able to really play with this lot either. I had a really good experience with the first two that I got so I'm pretty excited to show these. I'm going to start with the powder eyeshadows. The three below, from left to right, are Bronze Antique, Talpa and Flesh.


L-R: Bronze Antique, Talpa, Flesh









Right now, I'm not planning to get anymore of the powder eyeshadows. Most of the colors in the collection are permanent so there's no need to rush to get any of them. If something catches your eye, it may be a good idea to hit up a counter and play around a little before making a purchase. You could also wait for more reviews from users/bloggers who got in on the game early.

I really think that singles are making a comeback, after the years long obsession we've had with palettes. Personally, I find anything with more than 4 colors a little overwhelming sometimes. I buy them and they tend to sit in a box for ages before I'm done with whatever I'm playing with and decide to start with a new one. I'll confess, I grabbed one of the Urban Decay Basquiat palettes but it's still sitting on my vanity untouched. I've actually only just started using a Zoeva palette that I've had for a year now. A year! Clearly, I don't need more makeup.

Sometimes we need to be reminded that liquid and cream products tend to have a shorter shelf life than powder products so before you load up on the cream eyeshadows, bear in mind that you've got to use them often enough to warrant the expense. If they have been opened, you've got to start the countdown to the day that you should stop using them. A good rule of thumb, if you really can't recall when you opened something, is simply to use your senses to assess the condition of the product. Look for product separation, change in color, odor and/or texture. Any of those could be a sign of degradation and to be on the safe side, don't put it on your face anymore if you note any of that. This is quite easy on bottles of foundation and cream products in tubs. When in doubt, toss.

I'm personally guilty of keeping many old products but I tend to stop using them in favor of newer products because well, I always find myself getting new products. I do get rid of liquids and creams a lot more than powders. I have more trouble ridding my collection of powders because it's nice to have an archive, and once in awhile, I do go back to old favorites. I just try to scrape off the top layer to reveal what I think to be a fresher layer underneath. And I make sure everything is neatly put away after use. I rarely use my fingers to apply product. If I have to, I would usually pump or scrape a small amount of product from the container to the back of my hand. I wipe off any excess that could drip off the pump of foundation bottles and moisturizers with a clean tissue at every use. Anything leaky that cannot be cleaned is tossed. And so on...

So anyway, here are the cream eyeshadows that I picked up from the Ombre Première collection. The foursome below, clockwise from the top are: Scintillance, Pourpre Profond, Noir Pétrole and Silver Pink. Note that I've already used Noir Pétrole in this picture. You can see the one side of it where I've been picking up the product for use. It reveals the main difference between this set of cream eyeshadows and the previous Illusion D'Ombre eyeshadows. These really do act a lot more like creams (less gel-like), with more pigment and less of the sheer sparkliness that was characteristic of Illusion D'Ombre. They're still a little spongy and springy to the touch but they apply and blend like a good cream eyeshadow.


Clockwise from top: Scintillance, Pourpre Profond, Noir Pétrole, Silver Pink









I did not repost the individual pictures of Noir Pétrole but you can always go back to the previous post that has those pictures or click here. Of the lot that I haven't yet tested, I'm most looking forward to playing with Silver Pink, to see what combinations I can work with it. I also want to see how it compares to Pourpre Profond once they are on the lid. I got this Marc Jacobs set that has an eyeliner and an eyeshadow that I think will be a good match for either one. Hmmm... so excited!

So with this collection, I find myself more enamored with the cream eyeshadow colors than with the powders. But because I know I'm not going to finish up any of these products, even if I use them frequently, I don't think that I will be getting any more colors. For layering combinations, check out the Chanel website. I'll write another post later on if I can test out other combinations that I think work very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment