Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Burberry Effortless Brow Definer Brow Shaping Pencil in No. 3 Ash Brown



Grooming the brows and enhancing their shape and color can really improve ones appearance, especially in pictures! In this age of Instagram and Facebook, more and more people are making that effort to look camera-ready each day. For me, making peace with my one droopy eyelid and uneven brows took a few visits to the Benefit Brow Bar and quite a number of eyebrow products. The eyelid itself is one issue but when your one eye sits lower than the other (and of course, nobody is perfectly symmetrical, except maybe Vanessa Williams and Shania Twain), your brows naturally follow suit. 

I'm a fan of natural-looking, clean brows. I prefer not to see the makeup so much. However, I'll be the first to admit that I need the makeup. Otherwise, you'd hardly see my brows. I have more of that half-brow look, where the inner part is markedly lighter than the outer half and this is the main issue that I like to address with brow powder. I can fill in large areas like that with powder, without looking like I've drawn lines. I cannot stand to see lines. I like a light shading. I love the look of powder, but on most days, I think pencil is just faster. Pencils with triangular tips even more so as you can fill in with the wider side quite quickly or you can pencil in with the thin side to mimic the appearance of hairs. (see my post about last year's favorite Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Definer Triangular Brow Pencil). With a spoolie, you can easily brush everything to a nice blur. But, not all pencils are the same.

I used to think the Anastasia Beverly Hills products were truly the the best and I've bought several products from the brand over and over. Then Benefit came out with their new brow products and I tried a few here and there. But of the items I've used recently, the one that stood out for me is the Burberry Effortless Brow Definer Brow Shaping Pencil in No. 3 Ash Brown. 





Why I like it: first, the color. Although I have brown hair, the natural color of my brows is actually darker. From afar, a warm brown color on my brows looks fine but once you look closely, it is quite clear where the fake color begins and where the real brows are. After using the Chanel Brow Powder Duo in Brun, I realized that I wanted to start using a darker, less warm shade for everyday. This is where Burberry netted me a winner. This Ash Brown is the least warm all the brow colors I've used. The dark side of the Chanel Brow Powder duo looks similar when applied, but requires more effort. The Burberry Brow Shaping Pencil allows me to draw lines that look like fine hairs and I can draw a nice outline for me to follow with shading while still maintaining a very natural appearance. Any harsh lines can be brushed through with the spoolie and the result is a "my brows but better" look.

A tip I've picked up from reading other blogs is to apply brow gel first, before filling in. That way, none of my hard work is erased. This does happen when I use the ABH Brow Gel after filling in with powder. But if you set the hairs with gel first, you don't have that problem. Just be sure to let the gel dry completely first.




As for the other things that I like about this pencil, the shape is good. As I've said above, the triangular shape works well for shading large areas but can also be used to draw fine lines. The pencil is automatic and never needs sharpening. The spoolie on the other end is good and the construction of the pencil itself seems very sturdy. I've had a spoolie partially break off on one of my ABH pencils before. I guess they use a cheaper plastic for those. Overall, except for the price, I love everything about my Burberry pencil. This is now the pencil I carry in my purse, replacing the Anastasia Brow Wiz that I carried around for years. Of course, when I'm doing my makeup at home and I want to use it, this means I need to dig around in my purse for it. I should get another one to keep on my vanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment