Thursday, April 20, 2017

Sephora VIB Sale Purchases

As all Sephora shoppers probably know, it's that time of year when Sephora offers a 10-15% discount coupon for Beauty Insiders. This coupon is valid on pretty much everything in the store and online. There may be exclusions, but it hasn't yet failed me. The sale runs until April 24.

This year is a little bit different for me as I've come to realize that there really wasn't all that much that I wanted to buy. In part, it's a desire to trim down purchases to necessary things. However, I do treat myself and I'm still lured by new product launches so this "haul" is a combination of all that. I refuse to entitle the post a "haul" as I really rather dislike that word. I don't think people should be "hauling" makeup. There's just something fundamentally wrong about hoarding perishable products. There's nothing right about hoarding anything really. I can understand the need to save money. But rather than buying in bulk, sometimes, it's better to buy just what you need. You may find you'll spend less in the long run.

So, here's what I've purchased so far...




The Kate Somerville Dry Skin Saver is the one thing I buy whenever Sephora has a coupon. My children have eczema and my 10 year old daughter had a really bad bout of contact dermatitis on her face last December. It set me on a quest for a product that works to bring moisture back to her skin and helps lessen itching, is non-steroidal and very pleasant to use. This has come out as a real standout among the items that we tried. She loves it and that makes her actually use it so I will probably be buying this several times a year for the rest of my life. Because it's a bit expensive ($48/4 oz.), she really only uses it on areas that are prone to sensitivity, like her hands and wrists, as opposed to the entire body (we rotate various creams and lotions for that purpose, depending on the season). It can also be used on the face! Right now, she is finishing up a jar of Tatcha Indigo Soothing Triple Recovery Cream for her face but as that is really expensive and the Kate Somerville Dry Skin Saver performs equally well, I guess we will be going with Kate from now on.




The other "necessity" in this purchase is the bareMinerals Stroke of Light Eye Brightener. I got a tube of this in September last year, I think. I've found that it's the one product I keep going back to now, when I am trying to camouflage some dark skin under the eyes. Make no mistake, this is not a concealer. I still love my Givenchy Mister Light Instant Light Corrective Pen for that purpose but as I've gotten older, I realize that I have no patience waiting for any of these pens to pump out liquid. It really is easier to pull out a wand and have the product there. And it seems I haven't got as much to conceal anyway that an eye brightener and some translucent powder is enough to even out my under eye area. Plus, this one doesn't really sink into fine lines that badly. Anything that does is easily tamped out by doing a light press with the ring finger. So, this is my new go-to. If $23 for 0.18 oz. is a bit much for you, I've found some success with the Sephora Collection Bright Future Gel Serum Concealer. It's comparable, I'd say. At $14, it conceals more and I've come to use it to cover up a pimple mark here and there. I use the shade Palmier and for bareMinerals, I use Luminous 2.




The rest of the purchase would count as indulgences. Wanting to try Dior's new lipstick, I went and got the Dior Addict Lacquer Stick at the store. I was originally looking at one of the more Nude or Pastel shades but they didn't have Lazy or Tease in stock. I told the associate that something in between Lazy and Underground would actually make me happier and we settled on the rosewood L.A. Pink, which thankfully, they had one last tube of. That went into my bag and immediately got opened and used when I got to my car. That day, I was wearing three layers of lipstick mixed together. MARC JACOBS Slow Burn, topped with some old Chanel Rouge Coco (I think it was Legendé), blotted and topped with Shiseido Red Queen. I wanted a custom shade :) Amazingly, for touch ups, L.A. Pink worked very well. The color blended right into what was left on my lips of the previous combo.





My thoughts: the Dior Addict Lacquer Stick has an ultra-creamy texture that is easy to over-apply. It's nicely moisturizing and L.A. Pink was highly-pigmented so one coat was really all I needed. But the smell... I was not very fond of the fragrance on this particular Dior lipstick. I was reading reviews on Sephora's website and saw some people had the same issue. In response, one person commented that perhaps they simply weren't used to the smell of high-end lipstick. I'd say that's highly inaccurate. This one has its own distinct fragrance and actually, it doesn't smell like most high-end lipsticks. I sniffed the small bottle of Dior Poison Girl that arrived with my Sephora order and realized that there were similarities. It's just that the lipstick had less of the florals on Poison Girl and more of the powdery odor. It's like Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire all over again. I like the lipstick, but I do not like the smell. I think the Dior Addict Lacquer Stick is a better lipstick overall than the Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire Deliciously Shiny Lipstick. However, I'm not inclined to buy more of either one.






I'll save my thoughts on the NARS bronzer and the MARC JACOBS brush for another post since I haven't got the time to write it all today. Anyway, I haven't actually used either product so I don't really have much to say about either one at the moment. For now, the only other items that I'm interested in grabbing are possibly a new bottle of foundation (still mulling this over, maybe Estee Lauder's Double Wear Light) and the new Guerlain bronzers and météorites, if Sephora would finally offer them for sale. The new Bronzer Trio is already on the Just Arrived page but the link doesn't work. After an inquiry, I was told that it is out of stock. I'd argue, more accurately, it's not yet in at all. I can't wait, and I was much-annoyed by this response (out of stock is NOT the same as we aren't selling it yet or we don't have it yet) so I will be buying this trio from Nordstrom, where the list price is actually $4 cheaper. The price difference, if I'd gotten the VIB Rouge discount would only be $5. I'm to lose out on that if I get it now and I think I'm fine with it. For some items that you can also buy at Ulta, you're probably better off getting them there (like the Eye Brightener), if they have them in stock, since you could get a much better 20% discount. Maybe the new Benefit Cheek Parade blush palette?

No comments:

Post a Comment