Friday, December 9, 2016

Pixi by Petra Mattelustre Lipstick in Plum Berry



For Day 9, I opened the Pixi by Petra Mattelustre Lipstick in Plum Berry. As I didn't step out until the evening, I didn't get a chance to put it on until I was literally about to get out of my car. I didn't really think about the challenge before me, to put on this lipstick in a pitch dark church parking lot. I managed to slap it on, while seriously wondering if I should have gone with a different color or a different lip product altogether for the day.

Thankfully, we were a bit early so after I pointed out to my daughter where we should be seated, I had a chance to make a quick trip to the ladies room to obsess over whether I had put my lipstick on right or not. It's an otherwise perfectly delightful berry color, but if you're like me, and it bothers you when dark lips aren't applied on point, then you're going to want to make sure you put it on at your leisure.







In the end, everything turned out fine. The color applied nicely. It wasn't too troublesome to even out. I didn't even need a lip brush or a lip liner. I didn't find my lips to be dreadfully matte or dry and I think it's quite a nice shade for a night out during the holidays. Even the stain it left behind was mostly even so it doesn't bother me too much. The product seems to be unscented and has no funky flavor. If only for those reasons, I'm certain these lipsticks have a fan base.

A couple of side notes. One, this lipstick is made in USA. I like that. Two, even the USA can have manufacturing faux pas and sometimes you open a fresh lipstick and find a piece of hair on it. I removed it with tweezers. But I did think twice about whether I wanted to exchange it or not. (See it below.)




Pixi is one of those brands that I find a little strange in terms of positioning. They're sold by Target but they're among the most expensive cosmetic and skincare products that the store carries. A $12 lipstick in a store that carries your usual drugstore brands makes you wonder what it is exactly that you're paying for. I'm still not sure, really. I think I might be able to find a comparable Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick for less than half the price (and I'm fairly certain that I have one or two in my stash that are similar), so for cheap thrills, there are cheaper ways to go. On the other hand, if I'm really wanting to spend extra on a special lippie, I'm not entirely sure this is what I'd buy. It's a bit... ordinary. That said, I'd happily keep this tube and use it once in awhile. Probably not going back for more colors since the selection is rather small. If you're looking though, just know that Plum Berry is the darkest shade that this line has.

No comments:

Post a Comment