Friday, December 16, 2016

Laura Mercier Iconic Leading Lady Lip Set in Sophia

Happy Friday! The 25th is fast approaching, and many of those holiday gifts sets we saw out as early as September are already disappearing from the shelves. I remember getting a couple of these Laura Mercier Iconic Leading Lady Lip Sets during Nordstrom's triple points event thinking that they were a good deal for the price. $38 for a full size lipstick and a full size gloss packaged neatly in a box with a mirror too? I say that's a pretty good deal. Also because the stuff is goooooood... I really should have opened this box sooner.




What I'm featuring for day 16 is the set in Sophia. This one is probably going to be the one that goes out of stock ahead of the other two variants. Sophia is pink and the other two sets are a red and a nude peach (at least that's what it looks like to me) so this is going to have the most universal appeal of the three.




The Velour Lovers lipstick in Sophia really is quite nice. It applies smoothly, looks decently opaque in one coat and settles to a matte finish that isn't flat. It doesn't bleed on me and doesn't settle into fine lip lines. It hugs the lips rather well so it lasts a good amount of time but it isn't drying at all. Overall, it's a very well done lipstick formula that's in tune with the current matte trend.

What makes the set a particularly good value isn't even merely the fact that you get two products in full size, but getting two good products and being able to mix and match for three different looks. There's no throwaway sample here. You can go sheer with just the gloss, matte with just the lipstick or get full-on color with a little shine by adding the gloss on top of the lipstick. I didn't even need to add much gloss to get a pretty sheen. I just patted some over the center of the bottom lip very lightly. The two colors are so perfectly coordinated, you can't go wrong.






The lip gloss is the typical Laura Mercier Lip Glacé and I have many of them which I use from time to time. Sheer and shiny, with not too much slip but not really sticky either. As long as you're ok with the somewhat synthetic smell, it's a perfectly fine lip gloss that comes in a couple dozen shades.

The shade Sophia is limited edition. It's a warm medium pink, matte for the lipstick and with silver shimmer in the lip gloss. But as the shade isn't particularly unique in my eye, if you love it, just go to a Laura Mercier counter and see if the associate can help you find a close match among the permanent products. I am sure there will be something. The only thing is, the set will cost you less as the lipstick by itself is $28 and the gloss is $25.




On a final note, this is packaged in a box with a removable lid (magnetic closure) and a hidden mirror. Overall, it's very ready for gifting but I personally don't mind keeping them in the boxes. I found the mirror handy when I needed one. When I get tired of it or find that I no longer want the box for space reasons (it's not like I would carry it in my purse), I'll just give it to my little girl to play with. Mine loves boxes. Put stuff in it, shake, open, flip over, repeat. Something for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment