Monday, October 17, 2016

Primer, Foundation and Powder Ramblings



My skin is still fairly calm this autumn although I'm dreading and really preparing for the intense dryness that winter can bring. For the most part, I still freely wear various primers and foundations these days. Post-summer, I find that the YSL Touche Eclat Le Teint Radiance Awakening Foundation in shade BD25 works quite well.




I got my bottle during a promotion at Nordstrom maybe late last year or post-holiday. It was a set that included a free YSL foundation brush and a small bottle of the YSL Blur Primer if you purchased the foundation and the Touche Eclat pen, which I have in shade 2.5.





When I got it, BD25 was a touch too dark. I was wearing Armani's Luminous Silk in 4.5 frequently because it was a good match at the time. I alternated that with MUFE Ultra HD in Y235. Both those shades are now a bit too fair so BD25 has been my go-to. I found the primer to be quite lovely as well. As long as the skin is properly exfoliated and moisturized, they perform very nicely. When I do get a little extra moisture on my skin, the YSL primer and foundation combo, lightly set with a good loose powder really gives me that poreless finish that I crave.





There is just one problem I have with YSL. I don't feel comfortable using the products for everyday. I am incredibly wary of these products that have that high silicone feel to them. The YSL Blur Primer is one of those. It has that really slippery feel that, in my mind, is going to seriously clog up my pores if I use it constantly. Hourglass primers feel that way too, as does the original Smashbox one. Although my fears have remained unfounded, it's just out of my comfort zone for daily use. And the YSL foundation seems to work best when used with its matching primer so if I finish this bottle, will I repurchase? Probably not. (P.S. If your nearby outlet has the Luxury Beauty Store, they carry YSL, Urban Decay, Lancome etc. I'm sure I've already seen some shades of this foundation in stock as of two days ago.)

Just to get it out of the way, I'm 40 and I have dry skin. I try to look for foundation that is designed for normal to dry skin, even aging skin, if possible. So I'm taking a cue from my grandmother's sister who is 89 years old. What does she use? A stick! Cream foundation in stick form is her go-to. So I went out and bought several stick formulations, Bobbi Brown, Hourglass and the Cover FX Cover Click Concealer + Foundation. With Cover FX, I went with two shades to blend in and contour. G20 as the general foundation shade and N60 as the contour was a pretty good combination for me. I can't say it was great as an undereye concealer but for a quick overall foundation and contour look, I was happy with it. I blended everything down with a Real Techniques buffing brush which I've been testing and everything looked really nice.




The Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick in Warm Sand is a good match for me but I find it sorely lacking in longevity. Even with my dry skin, I do like the products to last longer than 2-3 hours but this one looks a bit patchy and faded quite quickly. So I got myself the Hourglass Vanish Seamless Finish Foundation Stick and in the store, it looked like Ivory was the best match. But after using it for a few days, I felt like it made my face too pink. The finish was beautiful. It was very creamy and glided on so well but when you have the wrong color, it's too much work to have to correct with powder etc. It defeated the purpose of using a cream product if I was just going to drown it in powder after. So taking a cue from how I used the Cover FX products, I decided to use the Bobbi Brown stick as the main color, and on areas where I could use a darker shade, I used Hourglass and I think it worked out quite well.

After all this, I've decided that none of the above was still a candidate for repurchase. Now I am testing the reformulated Guerlain Lingerie de Peau foundation and it's promising. I'm still undecided on the shade but I'm liking the way it looks and feels so far. Speaking of Guerlain though, I've hit pan on my favorite compact! This is a true rarity for me as I usually find a new favorite before items get used up but I haven't found any powder that I like as much as the old and now discontinued Guerlain Meteorites Illuminating and Mattifying Compact Powder in Teint Beige. I now carry the Chanel Double Perfection Lumiere Compact in my purse and I really like it but it's a bit heavier, with more coverage than my old Guerlain. I don't necessarily want a foundation powder to replace my Guerlain but I do need a setting powder or a finishing powder that works exactly the same way. I have plenty of Meteorites to choose from but those don't do the same thing. I have several loose powders at my disposal as well, and Shiseido is a new discovery, but on most days, I prefer to set with a compact powder rather than fuss with loose. I tried Burberry, MUFE and Laura Mercier and of those, I like the Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Foundation Powder the best. I was matched to shade 04. But again, too much coverage. I saw the new Candleglow products just came out so I might give that powder a try. I've also been on an Hourglass kick. I've tried pretty much all the Ambient Lighting powders and I think they are pretty good. Not the same as my old Guerlain but pretty good at what it's supposed to do. Something to talk about in another post...






No comments:

Post a Comment