Friday, March 25, 2016

Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Definer Triangular Brow Pencil

When it comes to brows, I'd like to think I'm pretty low maintenance. There's not a lot of brows to tame, really, and the color isn't particular dark. Brow shaping and waxing aren't services that I tend to get often. I have to admit though that my last appointment at the Benefit Brow Bar went spectacularly. I've never been so happy with the way my brows look and it made me reconsider professional shaping as something more important.




The right brow products, however, I've always thought to be very valuable. Nothing like a pretty pair of brows to frame even the simplest look. What I generally need are a good brow powder, a brow brush and spoolie. The brow gel is optional. Because my brows tend to have that "half-brow" appearance if not filled in, I have turned to Anastasia Beverly Hills products to keep them in check. I'm not a fan of fancy, heavily drawn-in brows or pencil-thin lines and favor a more natural look that more or less just traces what I've already got on my face and darkens the inner part a little to give it the appearance of fullness. I've already accepted the natural symmetry of the brows I've got, that is, that they are not perfectly symmetrical and never will be. And that's ok. Once, I had a makeup artist decide that I would look better if my brows were perfectly symmetrical, even if my eyes aren't. So, he shaved off half my brow on the one side and shaped the other. When filled in, they looked incredibly good, as my high school graduation picture will show. When all the makeup was wiped off, I had worse than the original half-brow appearance. I really did just have half a brow on the one side. Sigh. Never again.

There's a trend towards heavier brows these days and I've been trying to adjust my brow game a little. For years, I was devoted to the ABH Brow Wiz, a product that I've purchased and re-purchased. A good brow pencil comes in handy as I tend to keep one in my purse. The ABH pencils always come with a spoolie on one side, so it's a real space saver too. The Brow Wiz that I used to buy in Medium Ash has been renamed Medium Brown and the color still suits me but I tend to use it more on the fly. At home, when I want more in-your-face brows, I still preferred to use brow powder. Alternating between the two, or using them both, has worked well enough for years and once in awhile, I pick up other brow products but keep going back to these. I was thinking about grabbing another brow powder duo (the shade that I had been using for years is now called Taupe) but decided that I ought to give the newer Triangular Pencil a try first. And boy, am I glad that I did. It is now my favorite brow product.




I like the newer Brow Definer Triangular Brow Pencil better because it makes filling in the larger areas easier than if I had still been using the Brow Wiz. Because I wasn't going to be making teeny, tiny lines anymore, I thought it wise to go with Taupe instead of Medium Brown. I think it was a good decision. Taupe mimics my natural hair color better and it's easier to control how dark the brows are getting. I used to take extra care with the Medium Brown Brow Wiz when filling in my inner brows as it does tend to look a bit dark and drawn in if I wasn't careful. The brow powder has a lighter side that I could use to fill in the sparser areas and not have it look so strong. With a Taupe pencil, it actually took me less time to get my brows looking just the way I want them to.





The triangular shape is surprisingly easier to manipulate. You can hold a pencil in a hundred different ways, just like when you draw on paper. The difference between the Brow Wiz and the Triangular Brow Pencil is like the difference between a super fine point marker and a chisel tip. The chisel tip is more versatile. I can make almost the exact same lines that I do with the Brow Wiz and more when I'm using the Triangular Brow Definer. I'm so happy with it, I'm afraid that if they change the product in any way, I would be hard-pressed to find something as easy to use. I think I'm going to have to stock up on the next sale. But that's not going to stop me from grabbing a Perfect Brow Pencil for $12. It's the beauty steal of the day at Ulta. Let's see if it can unseat my Triangular Brow Pencil from the top spot. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment