Friday, February 12, 2016

TONYMOLY Skincare and Makeup



Let's take a break from all the serious stuff and get a load of all the cute things that South Korean brand TONYMOLY has for us.




I had been collecting a bunch of TONYMOLY items to put in a little goodie bag for my daughter on her last birthday and I made sure to take pictures of each one before handing the bag over to her.



TONYMOLY Peach Hand Cream



I knew that she definitely wanted the lip balms packaged like tiny fruits. I got her the cherry, blueberry and the peach, along with the coordinating peach hand cream. Surprisingly though, upon reading the product packaging/directions, it said not to use if you have eczema. When is hand cream bad for eczema? Anyway, I think she just wanted the items for the fruit packaging. I don't think she used any of them. The little fruits make cute little pretend food for her Beanie Boos.


TONYMOLY Mini Cherry Lip Balm



TONYMOLY Mini Berry Lip Balm

I picked up most of the items at Urban Outfitters. They had a neat little display of TONYMOLY products, with more products than I ever saw at Sephora. And they sold them for less! Not to mention, they are practically always out of stock at Sephora anyway. Urban Outfitters even had this cute little Panda compact mirror and they carried the Petite Bunny Gloss Bars.



Stuff I got from Urban Outfitters

I saw these Petite Bunny Gloss Bars in a Nordstrom catalog around the holidays but before I even had a chance to browse them online, they were already out of stock. I'm sure Nordstrom only carried them for the gifting season. Urban Outfitters has them in the store, with testers too! I picked out what I thought were the brightest, most pigmented colors but even these two are barely there. They are very shiny and glide beautifully but don't expect much more than a typical tinted lip balm as far as color. I bought them just for the cute packaging, much like the mini lip balms.




TONYMOLY Petite Bunny Gloss Bar swatches



What I did buy in hopes of achieving something useful were several of the face masks. Ok, several might be an understatement. I think I've managed to get every variant of the TONYMOLY I'm Real Mask Sheets, save for the Tomato and Broccoli ones which I hope to order soon. I even managed to score the Hydrating Coconut one from Sephora, but I'm not sure if that's discontinued or what. Nobody else seems to sell it and it's no longer in stock. Too bad because I rather liked that one.


TONYMOLY I'm Real Mask Sheets

The first one I ever used was the Lemon one. I was a little afraid because lemon and other radiance-inducing vitamin C products can make my face burn but this did not. It has such a sweet smell too. It was citrusy but not overpowering. When I unpacked it, I kind of ripped a little of the nose part because I didn't yet understand how the mask was folded. The mask still functioned as it should and I wouldn't say it's a particularly thin mask either. I've seen thicker material, but the ripping was entirely my fault and hasn't happened with other TONYMOLY masks I've tried.

The next thing I noticed was how much serum was in the packet. The mask would be dripping wet as you take it out and after unfolding and putting it on, it would continue to drip down the sides of my face and neck. Messy, yes. However, again, this is not unique to this mask. I think every mask I've ever tried has done this. So I employed my usual tactic of squeezing out the excess serum lightly before I remove the mask from the bag. That way, the excess serum is saved in the bag for future use. I do this with SK-II masks which are pretty expensive at $17 a pop. I used to pour out the excess serum into small bottles but I've since learned to simply leave it in the bag and then tape the bag shut. The extra serum is typically good for next day use, layered under a treatment oil or moisturizer.

I don't sense many differences between the TONYMOLY masks I've used except for minute changes in scent. None of them smelled ridiculous or funky. They all smelled subtly shower clean. I probably need to use them more, to be able to gauge differences in effect. Right now, my skin is craving moisture and all of them are moisturizing, They're "light serum moisturizing" so you have to layer something over them after using the mask, for added benefits. I have been trying various treatment oils and so far, they all work nicely with the TONYMOLY masks I've tried.

My favorite one is the Avocado mask. I purchased mine at Ulta, along with the Makgeoli and Red Wine ones. They have them by the checkout and coupons work on them so even if they are priced more than UO ($3 each), if you buy three and use the $3.50 off $10 that they have every week, it actually comes out cheaper from Ulta. They carry a slew of other TONYMOLY items online now too.


TONYMOLY I'm Real Mask Sheets from Ulta

So anyway, if you're craving for some cute items, or maybe something fun for the younger set, have a gander at the nearest TONYMOLY display. I'm waiting for any retailer to carry the face powders in the cats wink compact. I'm so buying those if anyone has them in stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment