Thursday, February 18, 2016

Charlotte Tilbury Overview (Sculpt & Highlight, Blush, Pillow Talk Liner and Lipstick)

I caved. After the disaster that was the Charlotte Tilbury Mini Lipstick Charms set (Do you want to read about that? Click here.) that I purchased and subsequently returned, I went out and bought a whole slew of other Charlotte Tilbury items. There has to be a reason this brand is so hyped (uhm yeah, to boost sales?) and seriously, what brand isn't hit or miss? I just wanted to see if there was anything at all that I might like.




Lippies are usually something of a safe bet for me. I also thought I heard someone say/write that her lipsticks are a good place to start. That person may have been referring to the Matte Revolution line but I'm just not a matte lipstick kind of person, you know? And what is it with all these sets? So, off I went to buy a set. Ok, two sets. Granted, these are simply a pair of items in the set instead of the $250 multi-piece kits. I can't remember which one I got first, probably the Filmstar Killer Cheekbones set which includes the Filmstar Bronze & Glow compact and the Powder & Sculpt brush.


Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Killer Cheekbones Set

I admit that it took a few uses before I appreciated this set. That and a few misfires with other brands (see the Kevyn Aucoin one here). After rotating between a few different products and brushes, I gradually grew to appreciate the way this duo looks like on me when applied. I start with the highlight, like I always do, and I find the highlight shade to be subtle and appropriate for my skin tone. It can be overdone. You just need to watch yourself. I like that it isn't glitter or mega-shimmery. As Goldilocks would say, it was just right.


Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow



Then I bronze/sculpt/shape. In the beginning, I did find the sculpting color just a shade too grey. But as I've learned to work with the brush, I found that I could blend it out to the point where it does what it's supposed to do and it doesn't look like dirt, unlike the Kevyn Aucoin one. The brush is indispensable in this case. There is no other brush that I like to use with the Bronze & Glow duo. And although I'm not a fan of all the gold packaging (they get prints and are hard to photograph), I really like the mirrored compact that this comes in.


Charlotte Tilbury Powder & Sculpt Brush

What comes next? Blush, of course! So let's make it a Charlotte Tilbury day and grab the 6 Shades of Love lipstick and blusher set in Love Glow. In this set you will find the Bitch Perfect lipstick and the Cheek to Chic blusher in Love Glow. Since I ordered this from the Charlotte Tilbury USA website, with it I received the travel size Wonderglow and two sample shades of K.I.S.S.I.N.G. lipstick. I don't think I'm ever going to use the samples. I tried the Wonderglow though and found it too drying as a primer.






But the blush... I really like the compact of this blush. The size, the shape, the heft. I actually like using it. I almost wish that my blush was powder foundation so that I could carry this compact in my purse. But because I find it unnecessary to ever retouch my blush, I have no reason to carry this around with me. Perhaps it's the mirror that makes her compacts so nice. I also like the Bronze & Glow compact a lot.


Charlotte Tilbury Cheek to Chic Swish & Pop Blush in Love Glow

The blush itself is a pretty pink that has proven versatile enough to go with many makeup combinations that I wear. I don't generally follow the swish & pop method that they say to use when applying the blush. I don't think it makes much of a difference. I find it easier to swirl my blush brush around the entire thing and apply sparingly. The blush is pretty pigmented and adds a bright pop of pink and shimmer that's a bit much for me if I'm not careful. Having said that, this is definitely one of her better products that I've tried.


Charlotte Tilbury K.I.S.S.I.N.G lipstick

As for the lipstick, I'm not a fan. Is it just because it's winter? Because this lipstick (the shade Bitch Perfect pictured above) is incredibly dry and pulls on my lips when I put it on. High end lipsticks that I buy tend to not have this problem so imagine my surprise when this color didn't glide on properly. I thought, hey, let's try it with the lip liner. Maybe it will work better.





Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat Re-Shape and Re-Size Lip Liner in Pillow Talk

When I swatched it, I thought I could give it a go as a combo. The lip liner in Pillow Talk is a hair darker than the lipstick in Bitch Perfect but it seemed like it could work. I watched the Charlotte Tilbury tutorial demonstrating how to use the lip liner (not very useful). Then I went over the application tips which said for day, one should trace the lip shape and put on the matching lipstick. As I didn't have Stoned Rose, I used Bitch Perfect and it turned out to be a little lighter than the Pillow Talk lip liner so it didn't look the way I wanted it to look.

For night, it said to outline the lips and then fill in with the pencil, which I tried, and I figured, not only will this color last all night, the lipstick will completely cover the pencil and so it should work even if it's a darker shade. The problem that I encountered when using that technique was that using the lip liner all over the lips was drying and to top it with an also dry lipstick was a disaster of epic proportions. The result was just a really dry appearance and feel. The only way I could salvage the lip here was to apply a very moisturizing, non-sticky gloss.

If I had any other complaints about the Charlotte Tilbury Lip Liner, it would be that it requires sharpening but doesn't come with a sharpener. I think it would have been handy to have that, or perhaps a lip brush at the other end. I like it when lip liners are packaged with a lip brush on the opposite end. I've collected a few Chanel ones because that's what my mom used to use. I have an old Guerlain and a new Dior one as well. At the moment, outside of the ones packaged with the lip liner, I only have one lip brush. I keep that in my purse. (It's the Chanel one reviewed here.) The Revlon ColorStay Lip Liners that I previously posted about (here) don't come with a lip brush. For the price, however, I'm fine that it doesn't. At least those came with a sharpener.

So for me, it's a fail on both lip products for Charlotte Tilbury. Dryness is a real issue for me. Back in the day I think they equated drying formulas with longevity but in this day and age, there's no excuse for dry lipstick. You can have it all! Charlotte Tilbury makeup is expensive. If I'm paying that much, I need to love what I'm buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment