Saturday, December 19, 2015

Dior 5 Couleurs Couture Colours & Effects Eyeshadow Palette in (236) 5th & Pine


Dior 5 Couleurs Couture Colours & Effects Eyeshadow Palette in 236 5th & Pine

Believe it or not, this is the first Dior quint that I have ever purchased. Naturally, I'm beyond excited. I think the last time I ever bought Dior powder eyeshadow was in 1998. 1998! My goodness! I was a year out of college and on a trip overseas that turned what would have been 15 hours on a plane into a 3 day voyage. Bored out of my wits, I found myself buying things from the duty free catalog on the airplane. I purchased a truly delightful Dior makeup palette that included everything one would need to create a full face. It had powder and blush, several eyeshadows and lipcolors, and a tube of mascara. I had that piece for many years and it served me well. But that's not why I bought this.




I was browsing the Nordstrom website and saw a photograph on the sidebar. It was a Dior quint that I had never seen before. Although I never buy them, I do keep track of Dior's releases. Lately, I've been enamored with deep, dark blue/grey/charcoal eye colors. I had purchased several eyeshadow sticks but always go back to powder to finish off my eye makeup. I just feel more comfortable working with powder. So that dark shade in this palette just called to me. Add the silver and gold, oh my, it's perfect for the holidays! But I couldn't find any information on 5th & Pine anywhere online so I couldn't tell if it was a new product and what collection it was with. I bought the palette at the Dior counter at my local Nordstrom and am eager to share some pictures and swatches with you.






Because I just bought this today, I haven't used this quint at all. I took it home, photographed it and swatched it. My first impressions: the dark blue grey shade is definitely the winner here. Texture and pigmentation were superb on the first swipe. The white and light blue took a few swipes to get to the pigmentation I wanted but I think I could work with them. The gold and silver had a bit more grit, especially the gold, and I anticipate that care would be needed during application. The swatches are below. I tried to take pictures in different lighting. The pictures get warmer as you move down the post. The very last set of swatches was taken under direct sunlight. However, I would definitely describe this as a palette of cool colors.







On a final note, I wanted to add that I noticed a certain fragility to the palette itself. The light blue pan would move everytime I dipped the applicator into it. I don't know if it isn't glued properly or what. I would be wary if this needed to be shipped. But it could just be my palette. Either way, I think the colors are lovely and I can't wait to use them!

UPDATE January 25, 2016: After a bit of use, I've found this palette not to be of the same quality as other Dior palettes that I have seen in the past. I think it has to do with the colors themselves not being the kind that's easily made into a highly-pigmented and buttery product. The silver was especially hard to use as it just didn't show up when swept on the lid. The two lighter shades, the white and the light blue actually fared better since I expected them to be like that but they applied more evenly. Sheer but at least more evenly. The gold was surprisingly workable as an allover color and the darker shade basically just got a passing score for ease of use. I thought it would be darker when applied but it wasn't.

I'm not necessarily looking for heavy pigment since I understand that eye colors can be applied sheerly to a pretty effect and you can always layer products but I somehow expected this to be easier to use and it just wasn't. My overall recommendation is to skip this palette and look to the much older palettes in the regular line. I think that is what I should have done myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment