Wednesday, September 18, 2013

C. O. Bigelow Lip Balms

If you've been following my blog for awhile now, you've probably noticed how much I love lip balm. I have dozens of them and I keep them all over the house. I even have a jar of multi-colored eos balms decorating my living room. Those, I keep there just because they're cute although I do like those balms as well. Out at the outlet one time with my family, my daughter and I ran into a moisture emergency and so we sauntered into the nearest Bath & Body Works to get hand cream and lip balm. Bath & Body Works carries a few lines, not just the ones marketed under their own banner. We purchased True Blue Spa creams for hands and body (we are always on the lookout for fragrance-free hand creams) and a slew of lip balms by C.O. Bigelow.






There's the C.O. Bigelow Lemon Lip Balm No. 1421 (regular retail $7.50), rich in Vitamin C and shea butter with a pretty potent lemon scent and flavor. This comes in a convenient twist up lipstick-style packaging which makes it easiest for my 6 year old daughter to use on a daily basis. While the stick tends to soften a little with heat, she hasn't broken it yet! It's a pretty good balm and I admit to having used it on a few other body parts as needed. If you like the scent of their lemon body cream and the entire lemon line, you'll like this one too.





We also bought the C.O. Bigelow Rose Salve No. 012 (regular retail $5.50). It is a petrolatum-based product with rose extract, which gives it that rosy odor. It counts red dye as one of its ingredients though so let's not mistake the color as a result of the rose extract. Well, at least not entirely. I thought that I would like this better than I did but I felt that it wasn't giving me long-lasting moisture. Honestly, it feels like slathering on scented Vaseline. But the good news is, it's pretty much good for everything that Vaseline is good for as well. The tin is a handy size and I haven't had any issues with it yet. But if tins tend to get messy for you, and they do get hard to open at times, you may prefer to leave this one at home.





The last item we purchased was the C.O. Bigelow My Favorite Lip Balm No. 303 (regular retail $7.50). This is supposed to be fragrance-free but it has a scent and it's one that I really like. It must be the shea butter and sweet almond oil, a combination that I'm generally fond of. This is also petrolatum-based but counts a slew of different oils as its main components. The result is a runny consistency that tends to make a mess during application unless you work with just small amounts. The packaging left me short. I end up having to squeeze the tube very carefully so as not to get too much product out at once. I have no love for the slanted-tip applicator and in time, the lid kept coming off! I do not recommend this for your purse. Stow it in a place where you won't regret having to clean up a pool of oil in case it spills out. I use this everyday because I like the scent a lot but I'm not certain that I would repurchase it.




C.O. Bigelow sells many other lip products, a lot of which Bath & Body Works does not sell. I have a tube of Smith's Rosebud Salve, the one shown above, that I have yet to open (waiting to use up the previously-mentioned My Favorite Lip Balm first). I have used Smith's Rosebud Salve before it was available in the tube packaging seen here. I believe I'd finished a whole tin of it at some point in the past. It's marketed for all-over dry skin relief so it is quite handy to keep in your makeup bag. I'm hopeful that the tube packaging will be better than the tin but that remains to be seen. Smith's Rosebud Salve contains blended oils in a petrolatum base, so again, use it for anything that you may need Vaseline for.




Finally, I have here a sample of the Malin + Goetz Lip Moisturizer. A .35 oz. tube will set you back $12.00. My sister left this tube at my house by accident and I never did get to ask her where it came from. Upon trying it, I'd say it's different from your standard lip balm, that's for sure. The texture is more gel-like and it feels more like lip gloss than lip balm. It utilizes absorbent fatty acids as opposed to oils, which likely explains the texture. To me, there's that feeling like it sits on top of the lips rather than being absorbed but it is really quite moisturizing even if you use just a tiny amount. I've managed to use it as a lip prep but lipstick does slide around quite a lot on top of it. It might be better on top of the lipstick, as a kind of clear gloss. If you dislike all the petrolatum-based lip balms and all the oil-infused ones, this might be for you. Furthermore, this lip moisturizer has no color, no flavor and no odor. If that's what you need, this may be worth a look.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, just happened upon your blog and thought you might want to try Sephora's Super Moisturizing lip balm. It's $5, in a twist up stick and contains shea butter. Glides on and feels very moisturizing.

    ReplyDelete