Thursday, February 7, 2013

Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes (lots o' latte and ample amber)

Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes
02 lots o' latte (top) and 04 ample amber (bottom)

Four quick swipes patted down with the ring finger will get you out the door faster than you can say Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes in lots o' latte and ample amber. Seriously, if you find that you're always in a rush, this product might become your new best friend.








As I read The Non Blonde's review of the shade Lavish Lilac (read here), I found myself nodding at pretty much everything she said. Despite being different shades, they seem to exhibit quite the same qualities and follow a similar trend. Yes, I do think the eyeshadow crayon has become something of a trend these days. I've picked up quite a number of them in recent weeks and found renewed interest in the Clinique counter because of the chubby sticks (for lips and eyes).

Finding a shade I didn't already own and might actually use was more challenging, despite the generous 12-shade offering. Fearing a rather sheer quality, I picked out colors that I thought would make an easy lid wash and I was glad that I did. Ample Amber turned out to be just the color I had hoped it would be. Somewhat peachy and lightly golden, it blends beautifully with warm complexions. I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be the color most sales associates would point to when asked for a recommendation.




Left: ample amber, Right: lots o' latte

Lots O' Latte is a pale taupey mocha. In certain lighting, I suspected it would be more taupe but once I'd compared it to other taupes, it came off slightly more tan. While I prefer the look of Ample Amber as an allover lid color, a touch of Lots O' Latte on the outer corner and crease didn't hurt to give the look a little dimension. Emphasis on the word little, as this is also very mildly pigmented. I kind of wonder if I would have done better with Fuller Fudge.

On the question of longevity and creasing, while I did not experience any creasing while wearing these (also likely due to the very thin layers applied), I should note that these fade away to nothing by day's end. A quick check in the mirror as I got home showed a hint of sparkle but no color left. And here I was worried about what makeup remover to use. (I'm sure whatever you have is fine.)

Although I love the idea of an automatic eyeshadow crayon (no need to sharpen, yey!), for fun eye effects, I would skip the Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes. These are clearly meant for the woman on the go, who doesn't necessarily need to get creative with her eye makeup. I imagine there's a way, and you need to truly get creative to get there. But don't let go of the eyeliner just yet. With these shadow tints, you'll still need it and a healthy dose of mascara.

To create the swatches above, I needed to swipe the stick 8 times over the same spot. I could get the same density of color with one swipe of a Laura Mercier Caviar Stick. For saturated color and a gorgeous smoky eye, I'd still turn to Laura Mercier. Admittedly though, $16 for a full ounce of product seems quite the deal; until you figure in the fact that you would use at least four times more product to get the same effect. Still, if you like your eye colour to be subtle and goofproof, the Chubby Sticks might be the thing for you. No powder necessary.

2 comments:

  1. I read all your reviews of the different shadow sticks. Which one do you like best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have to say the Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks. It has the creamiest texture, the most saturated color and is the easiest to blend out to perfection among the brands I've tried. I also feel that it is the most versatile as I can use it as full-on eyeshadow by itself, an eyeshadow base, as eyeliner for both upper and lower lashlines and I never worry about it making a mess.

      Delete