Thursday, January 31, 2013

Guerlain Maxi Lash Mascara

Guerlain Maxi Lash Volume Creating Curl Sculpting Mascara

Guerlain's latest mascara, the new Maxi Lash, comes out with the brand's 2013 spring collection. I had high hopes for this product and ordered it the minute it appeared on Sephora's website. But I have been using a few new products and I try to use a tube for at least a month before switching, hence the belated review.




I'm a fan of the old Le 2 de Guerlain although I haven't bought a new tube of it since my last one, if only because there are always new mascara formulations to try and innovative new brushes that pique my interest. The new Maxi Lash is a volumizing mascara and it comes in two shades. I have Noir.





I was surprised that it didn't have a rubber brush (seems to be the "new" thing) and in fact looks amazingly ordinary. At $30 a tube, and released around the same time as Le Volume de Chanel, I can't help but compare the two. 

Two words: highly fragranced. Like pretty much all Guerlain cosmetics, the new Maxi Lash mascara is loaded with fragrance. It smells like... Guerlain. While I'm not bothered by the smell, it weirds me out that I can smell my mascara even after an hour of having put it on. I almost wondered if that was what I was paying for. Ha! 

While Maxi Lash can curl and volumize rather well, it suffers from the very thing that most volumizing products do - the tendency to clump. In trying to minimize clumping, I try to remove excess mascara from the wand by brushing the applicator against the mouth of the tube but I've found that this removes most of the product and results in uneven application. In the end, I just leave it alone and try to use a light hand during application. I do quick swipes to distribute the product evenly. The result becomes more natural rather than uber-volume but I'd rather have that than clumpy, fake-looking lashes. 


before mascara

after applying Guerlain Maxi Lash mascara



What I love about this mascara is the design of the tube. It's flat on the sides so I can lay it on the table and not have it roll off. Why did noone design the mascara tube this way before? Enough of the round tube. This is the way to go! However, outside of appearances, it is not a phenomenal mascara. It's nice but so are a lot of other mascaras at a lower price point. If I felt like paying about $30 a tube, I think I might buy Le Volume de Chanel instead.

edit 10/10/17: I revisited this post since I was getting ready to post a review on the Maxi Lash Set that comes with this mascara and a full-size eye pencil. I am surprised that Maxi Lash left a somewhat poor first impression as this is probably one of my favorite mascara formulas now. After a couple of tubes of Le Volume de Chanel that dried up rather quickly (the small sample tubes definitely do, the full-size one lasts a little longer), I actually went back to Guerlain. I like the brush of Maxi Lash better. It appears to be a rather ordinary mascara brush but it's versatile in that you can hold it several different ways and apply mascara to the lashes sideways, vertically or in a slanted way. You can pull lashes to the side or push them upwards and it curls! I am still impressed by the flat tube that will not roll off any surface. And, I'm no longer bothered by the smell. I still have drugstore mascara that I like a lot, but if there's a promotion on Guerlain, I would buy this one in a heartbeat.


2 comments:

  1. Way out of my budget and makeup are pretty expensive here in Malaysia. To avoid clumping, I swipe the wand against a clean tissue paper before using it. It usually helps me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your suggestion :) I try to use a paper towel if I do that just because it is less likely to leave tissue fibers on the wand. I think it minimizes the volumizing effect though and I hate to waste such expensive mascara.

      Delete