Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Shadow Stick in Golden Pink

Bobbi Brown's recent campaign starring Katie Holmes coincided with the release of their new Long-Wear Cream Shadow Stick. The automatic crayon calls to mind the Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks in many ways. The color selections cross paths a few times as well. A very good example of that is the shade Golden Pink.


Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Shadow Stick in Golden Pink



I purchased this before I got the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in Rosegold. The lineup of colors from Laura Mercier then didn't have the slightly sheer and shimmery peachy pink shade and I knew it was something that I could use. As a matter of fact, it was the Laura Mercier associate at Nordstrom who helped me pick this color out (she knew of an impending release of new shades from Laura but did not know at the time what they were going to be). In a lot of respects, the two products are very much alike. Same size, same twist-up delivery that requires no sharpening, same diameter and same blunt tip. The rounded tip is popular with some people. Personally, I prefer to be able to sharpen that tip to a point so I can make finer lines but I will not argue that the twist-up system is less messy and less wasteful overall.






Bobbi Brown's sticks are certainly long-wearing; about as long-wearing as Laura Mercier's. Put it on in the morning and forget about it. They don't crease and once set, they don't move. You must blend it out at once. These set even faster that Laura Mercier's in my random testing and if for some reason the Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks crease on you, you might like these better. I generally wear both without primer but I do set with powder if I use it on the lid. If not used as a base for powder eyeshadow, I just dust the lightest layer of translucent powder or sheer beige eyeshadow over it. You don't necessarily have to do that but I think that it keeps it looking perfect longer.




The shade Golden Pink, being of the nature that can be used as a lid wash, is tremendously easy to use. Blending different-colored cream shadows is not my favorite thing but these can be used with other colors from the line. You can use a brush or fingers. I find that a brush gives more precise results but if you're going for quick and natural, fingers work too. I prefer the creaminess of the Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks. I think that they blend out better. But that may vary depending on the shade with Bobbi Brown's.

As far as color, Golden Pink is so similar to Rosegold that I once stepped out of the house wearing Rosegold on one eye and Golden Pink on the other and nobody noticed. The swatch in sunlight looks exactly the same so I finally gave up trying to capture the difference in pictures. But I notice that Golden Pink is more metallic and shimmery. Rosegold while still metallic, has a more natural, satiny finish. Rosegold blends into my skin better. If I'm not particularly careful about blurring the edges with Golden Pink, I see where the eyeshadow ends. 


Bobbi Brown Golden Pink on left, Laura Mercier Rosegold on right
Eyeliner: Laura Mercier Stone Grey, Mascara: Guerlain Maxi Lash

All said, it's a lovely product that will delight fans of the cream eyeshadow stick. However, a crucial point that I failed to mention when I initially published this post is that the Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Shadow Stick is $28, $4 more than the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick. As they contain the same amount of product and these two colors look remarkably alike, I'd recommend picking up Rosegold over Golden Pink. If you're looking for something at a lower price point though, perhaps the Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes is the answer. I heard that each stick contains twice as much product for only $16. It's not on all Clinique counters yet but they've started trickling in. Same concept, smaller size, lower price. I think it's worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment