Thursday, November 15, 2012

Laura Mercier Shimmering Neutrals Trio look




Nordstrom has another exclusive Laura Mercier trio for the holidays. It's called the Shimmering Neutrals Trio. Although I didn't purchase this one, the idea is the same as the Cool Classics Trio just with different colors. For $50, you get two full-size eyeshadows: the Sateen Eye Colour in Warm Sands and the Lustre Eye Colour in Sundown, and one full-size Tightline Cake Eyeliner in Ground Espresso, all in a 3-well custom palette like the one shown above. Although I don't have Warm Sands, I do have the other two colors in the trio and this is enough to give you a sense of what the trio can achieve.

Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eyeliner in Ground Espresso

Pictured above is the full-size Tightline Cake Eyeliner in Ground Espresso in its individual case. Although you won't get the individual cases for the eyeshadows and the eyeliner if you buy the Shimmering Neutrals Trio, you are getting full-size products in the 3-well custom compact that can also be used with other Laura Mercier eyeshadows, eyeliners and blushes. For reference purposes, below is a picture of Sundown (used) which I have from another palette.


Sundown

I have not heard of Warm Sands before but Sundown has made appearance in a Nordstrom exclusive holiday palette which I reviewed here a couple of years ago. The shade selections in the Shimmering Neutrals Trio are very similar to the Colour Essentials Face Palette. In the picture of that palette below, I focused on Sundown, the dark brown Coffee Ground and the highlighting color Stellar. Warm Sands may yet be a little more yellowish or even similar to Honey, shown partially on the left. So if you have the old palette pictured below, there is no need to pick up the new Shimmering Neutrals Trio. If you've run out of Sundown, and you loved it, then it may be worth a look.


Laura Mercier Colour Essentials Face Palette 2010

The Tightline Cake Eyeliner in Ground Espresso is a workhorse in my stash. I was very happy when they released it in full-size a few months back, along with the Deep Teal shade (reviewed here). Below I have swatched it alongside the Lustre Eye Colour in Sundown.


Left: Sundown, Right: Ground Espresso

Sundown is a warm brown with a shimmer finish. Ground Espresso is a very dark brown that needs to be used wet, as with all the Tightline Cake Eyeliners. Below, I have applied the products in the same way that I used the Cool Classics Trio. I used Ground Espresso as liner, applied Sundown on the lid and blended out the edges to meet with the Sateen Eye Colour in Stellar which I used in place of Warm Sands. Keeping the focus on Sundown, you've pretty much gotten the idea of the Shimmering Neutrals Trio.




Stellar and Sundown from the Colour Essentials Face Palette 2010, both used in the look above

Personally, the Cool Classics Trio made more of an impact on me. The Shimmering Neutrals Trio wasn't all that shimmery and felt a bit ho-hum. I mean, it's been done before, and by Laura Mercier no less. My old Sundown eyeshadow applies more heavily than Rosewood but both shades are pretty, very blendable and last all day on me. Truthfully, if I didn't already have Ground Espresso and Sundown, I'd probably get the Shimmering Neutrals Trio too. The colors are great for daily use and they're good basics to own in full size. I don't think you'd go wrong choosing either one.

No comments:

Post a Comment