Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Laura Mercier Cool Classics Trio

Nordstrom has a couple of exclusive items from Laura Mercier for the holidays: the Shimmering Neutrals Trio and the Cool Classics Trio which I have here. The Cool Classics Trio consists of a full-size Sateen Eye Colour in Sparkling Dew, a full-size Lustre Eye Colour in Rosewood and a full-size Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Violet Asphalt. The three items are in a 3-well custom palette. It's a $76 value going for $50.


Laura Mercier Cool Classics Trio

This is one of those times where it's easy to determine the actual value of the set since each item in the palette is normally $22 and the palette itself is $10. It's almost like getting one eyeshadow for free.









I bought this palette specifically for the Violet Asphalt liner. I collect these eyeliners and although this shade has appeared in another palette before, I didn't get it then because I was holding out for a full-size product. The Sateen Eye Colour in Sparkling Dew has made a previous appearance in the Petite Eye Colour Trio in Smoky Mauves which I reviewed here. While it's nothing phenomenal, I don't mind having it in full-size. It works as a highlighter and a lid wash.







I wasn't sure how I would like Rosewood because a lot of brown shades that are reddish or coppery tend to not look good on me. I'd seen this color in a holiday palette last year but didn't buy it because lately, I've discovered that palettes with over four colors overwhelm me. I tried it for the first time upon purchasing the Cool Classics Trio and I'm happy to say that I think Rosewood and I are getting along very well.



L-R: Sparkling Dew, Rosewood, Violet Asphalt (sunlight shows the light shimmer)

Rosewood looks coppery brown. I had an easy time blending it out and was surprised at how much I liked it on. Copper and violet as a combination reminds me of the shade African Violet, which is a very popular eyeshadow shade from the brand. It shouldn't be surprising then to see Rosewood playing so nicely with Violet Asphalt. The effect is eye-brightening even if you're only using Violet Asphalt to tightline.



Swatches with bounce flash (non-direct indoor lighting)

A palette takes the guesswork out of creating looks. What's nice about this is that you get everything in full-size so at least you know you're not going to run out of it really fast. What's not so nice is that you would need to get another one of these trios if you ever did want to repurchase any of the shades because they are not currently part of the regular line. Do consider that this may only be available for a limited time.

For the pictures below, I went a teeny bit over the lashline with Violet Asphalt. I applied Rosewood on the lid and blended in Sparkling Dew towards the brow. On bottom lashline, I used the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in Amethyst over the espresso-colored Urban Decay Glide-On Pencil in Demolition applied sparingly and smudged. I'm bowled over by how complementary they are.





I tried a dark, smoky look with the Cool Classics Trio, using Violet Asphalt applied wet all over the lid and then adding Rosewood on top. The eyeshadow would not adhere to Violet Asphalt once it had dried so I had to use a cream shadow (I used a metallic lavender called Titanium) in a thin layer over Violet Asphalt before I could put Rosewood on. It's an idea and it turned out alright but with too many steps, I don't think that I would be repeating the look often. Sorry no pictures of that one but I thought I'd put the idea out there also to remind you that Violet Asphalt needs to be used wet.

I'm happy with my purchase. I can keep the palette and switch out the contents with other Laura Mercier eyeshadows and liners to put together my own combination. I think that this trio would play nicely with African Violet, one of my all-time favorite shades. Rosewood surpassed my expectations. Although the pigmentation isn't extremely heavy, I think it's just right for this particular color. I would have had a more difficult time getting it blended out to a sheer copper-brown if it applied more heavily. As for Sparkling Dew, I always appreciate the addition of a sheer beige, pink or champagne that can be used to neutralize a bare lid. I am thrilled to get my hands on Violet Asphalt for my collection. It can be used as an everyday liner if you want something that isn't as harsh as black and makes brown eyes pop. The shimmer in it is hardly obvious when you put it on. Overall, this is a good buy.


Ingredients List (click to enlarge)

2 comments:

  1. You have beautiful eyes! Love your blog, check it often :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This trio really works for me and now I love it even more :)

      Delete