Thursday, November 1, 2012

Guerlain Écrin 4 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette in 500 Les Ombres Turandot


Guerlain Écrin 4 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette in 500 Les Ombres Turandot

I hemmed and hawed over two eyeshadow palettes designed for the holidays. Chanel's Harmonie du Soir or Guerlain's Turandot? But my local Nordstrom seems to get Chanel collections really late a lot of the time. Their Guerlain counter is relatively new and despite being unmanned (it shares the space with Trish McEvoy but there is no dedicated associate for Guerlain), they got the Liu collection well in time and a Chanel associate helped me maneuver through my purchase. I ended up getting Turandot, thinking there was no way I was going to end up with both.










I loved that Turandot came with a velvet pouch that wasn't all black. The red was a nice touch. I liked the general feel of the colors. It says holiday without being over the top and glittery. The texture was Guerlain in good form. Overall, despite its $59 price tag, it's a lovely quad. Now let's compare.


Above, Guerlain Turandot

Above, Chanel Harmonie du Soir

At first glance, you get the sense that Harmonie du Soir and Turandot have a good number of similarities that you don't want both. You don't need both, that's for sure. But for me, there are enough differences not to regret getting both if you had the budget for it. In the dark and from afar, three colors seem the same. In better lighting, you'll see that the colors are completely different. For my own edification, I swatched them side by side.


Top row: Harmonie du Soir, Bottom Row: Turandot

The gold in Turandot is a little more orange, the brown in Harmonie du Soir is a lot more taupe (greyish). The gold and the brown are the only two colors in Turandot that have a degree of shimmer. The two center shades are both matte. Harmonie du Soir, on the other hand, is a shimmering quartet. Of the two center shades in Turandot, the darker one is kind of a maroon brown and the lighter is almost a burnt sienna. They work very well in combination with the orangey gold and the rich brown.

While Harmonie du Soir seems like a more varied combination, in truth, all the colors are simply lighter than the colors in Turandot. The plummy maroon has more violet tones than any shade in Turandot. The other shade is light pink. While I think they harmonize well, what sold me on the quad was the rich, buttery texture. I wish that all Chanel eyeshadows felt like these. Although I'm still smarting from the $65 price tag of this quad (and it seems to contain less by weight compared to the usual quads), I'm so smitten by their velvety feel.

If I had to choose just one, with plenty to consider, I would say Turandot is the better buy. It costs a few dollars less but contains almost twice the product. You get a variety of finishes in a very successful warm-toned lineup. The colors apply smoothly and last all day long.

Harmonie du Soir makes me stop and think, why am I spending $65 on this again? Its winning feature is the texture of the shadows, if that's worth $65 to you. The more I look at it, the more I feel I can live without it, especially since I bought Turandot first. I have a pink in my Guerlain Rue de Passy palette that can work just as well as the pink in Harmonie du Soir if I wanted to added a shimmery baby pink to the mix. If the warmth of Turandot is something you can't wrap your head around, Harmonie du Soir is less so and may work better for you. Otherwise, on value alone, I would recommend Turandot over it.


Guerlain Les Ombres Turandot

2 comments:

  1. I want the colors of the Chanel palette but like you said there is t much of it. I think the guerlain quad seems perfect. I have one of their 5 pan palettes already and it's absolutely amazing! I've been wanting more. The texture of them is phenomenal! Xx loved the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Guerlain did well with Turandot. I'm really enjoying it. I think you will too.

      Delete