Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Chanel Illusion D'Ombre Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadow in 817 Apparence

The Chanel Illusion D'Ombre Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadow in Apparence is a shimmery gold shadow that's proven to be quite versatile for me. When I first saw it, I wasn't sure if it was worth the splurge. At the end of the day, it's another gold eyeshadow and I'm not always in market for creams, gels, mousses or cream/gel/mousse hybrid formulas because they have a shorter shelf life and I tend not to use them that much.


Chanel Illusion D'Ombre Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadow in Apparence

With the tiniest bit of hesitation, I went and bought it anyway and I was surprised that I liked it quite a lot. See, my usual criteria for such product demands a really soft, smooth texture that's highly pigmented and applies evenly. Apparence didn't necessarily fulfill all this because of its unique formulation. It looks grainy in the pot and I've heard that it can be patchy during application. But here's the deal, it's just the loveliest sheer wash ever.

Take a MAC 217 or any fluffy brush and dip it into the pot. Swirl it all over the lid. Put on mascara. Presto! You are done! It looks natural, pretty and polished. (You'll see the picture of this look when I review the new Chanel Le Volume Mascara in a few days.)







Its wonders don't end there. Here are several more options. You want more color? It's a perfectly good base. (1) Pop some powder shadow on top of it. Or (2) add a layer of cream shadow to complement. Try a brown, taupe or even a maroon. Not your thing? (3) How about putting on powder eyeshadow first and then doing a thin layer of Apparence over it? Instant sheen! (4) You can also smudge some dark liner on your lids and put Apparence over that. It will keep that color on all day, with nary a smudge or crease. Doesn't fade on me either. Finally, (5) take your everyday eyeliner and mascara look and add a thin line of Apparence right over the lashline with the included brush. Simple and super!



It comes with a brush

If you're worried that it will dry up quickly, I usually scrape out a small chunk for use and then immediately screw the lid back on the pot. That way, I don't dip into the pot constantly and I don't leave the pot open for very long. I haven't had any of my pots dry up on me.




I know it seems like an easily available color, and for cheaper, but if you like this formula I think that Apparence is worth it. You can wear it all week and not repeat a single look. You can use it on its own or in conjunction with a wide variety of other eye makeup. I bet it would even make an interesting highlighter and not just on the eye area. Think cheekbones and décolletage. How about for your legs too? A sheer line right down the center. I really think it could work. There's a lot of promise here and you'll feel so glamorous just having it on.

1 comment: