Sunday, October 14, 2012

Revlon Foundation and Powder Brushes




Revlon makes brushes. Although I've known this for some time, it seems I never notice them when I'm out shopping. For one thing, the Target stores I go to don't carry them and that's where I buy the majority of the Revlon makeup that I own. I saw them at a couple of other stores (a CVS and Walmart, I think) and finally decided to grab a pair at Ulta. Even then, I had a difficult time looking for the display. They weren't with the Revlon products but with some other makeup brushes that the store carried (EcoTools, Japonesque etc.).




I was in the market for a spare foundation brush as this is the brush that I seem to wear out the most. I was attracted by the short-handled Powder Brush so I got one of those too. There was a buy one get one half off promotion at the time so it made sense to get two anyway.


Revlon Foundation Brush with insert (instructions on how to use and clean)

Brush Head (Revlon Foundation Brush)

The Revlon Foundation Brush looks like your conventional foundation brush in shape and thickness. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the short handle but I've found that it doesn't bother me at all. Interesting that although these aren't marketed as travel brushes, as short-handled brushes usually are, their size would make them good for that purpose.




The hairs on the Foundation Brush are soft and feel good against the skin. They perform well, spreading foundation without streaking and it wasn't difficult to get into smaller corners. I was surprised that it seems to be at par with a similar Sephora brush that has served me for years. I dare say I've found a replacement. Very satisfactory.


Revlon Powder Brush

Brush Head (Revlon Powder Brush)

The Powder Brush doesn't have the softest hairs available in the market but it's also not ridiculously rough against the face. The size and shape of the brush head make it good for allover powder application although I generally prefer a denser brush. Interestingly, the feel of this brush reminded me of the Guerlain Meteorites brush so I kind of designated it for that purpose. So far, it works. I alternate it with a tapered brush that I use if I prefer to target just specific high points of the face. The Revlon Powder Brush is better for sweeping across wide sections of the face because of how the hairs spread out. It also doesn't grab so much powder with each dip into the product so I think it's good for finishing or touchups.


Revlon Powder Brush with product insert (instructions - click to enlarge)

What concerns me with less expensive brushes is the propensity to shed hair. These brushes are still relatively new and they haven't shed on me yet. I've used them a number of times, washing after each use and I haven't had a problem. Not with shedding or dye transfer, which are my biggest pet peeves when it comes to brushes. It would be lovely if they could stand the test of time and constant use/washing but I'm sure your mileage may vary. I should be able to update this post if these brushes ever cause me problems.

My take on these is that they're alright for starter brushes or if you prefer to carry less expensive and easily replaceable brushes for travel. I wouldn't trade my pricier brushes for these but would happily use them as occasional alternates. The quality is acceptable but the size is their strongest selling point. For the price, it's not a bad call.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, you helped me a lot with this review. I just bought the Revlon foundation brush and I have to tell you that it feels wonderful on the skin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to help! Not a bad brush, I say :)

      Delete