Friday, October 26, 2012

CoverGirl LashBlast Clump Crusher Mascara in 800 Very Black

There's been a lot of buzz over CoverGirl's newest mascara from the lashblast line. The Clump Crusher promises 200 percent more volume and you guessed it, absolutely no clumps. Allure magazine hailed it as one of the big beauty breakthroughs for 2012. I couldn't wait to get myself a tube.




Admittedly, the CVS and Target stores in my area are usually slow in getting new products in. Walgreens and Walmart seem to get them first so I tried the nearest 24 hour Walmart to search for this treasure. After going down the aisle and looking through the CoverGirl products, I chanced upon one tube of Clump Crusher. Thankfully, there was a sales associate on the same aisle and she knew exactly what I was talking about when I asked if they had more.

"Is that the new one?," she asked. I said yes. So she pointed me to a separate display with a few dozen tubes. They just got the stuff in and she hadn't had a chance to move a few more into the proper aisle although they already allotted space for it in the CoverGirl section.




At the register, the associate asked me the same thing. "Is this the new one?," she said. Then she told me to come back and tell her if it was any good. I couldn't wait to get home to put it on and take a few pictures for you.

What's supposedly notable about this is the brush. The researchers at Procter & Gamble took a chance on the idea that all they needed to tweak, in order to prevent clumps, was the brush. Seemingly made of the same plastic material that plenty of other CoverGirl mascaras have, the difference is in the spacing.





It's a curved brush, meant for you to load your lashes up with mascara on the one side and then comb through with the other side to disperse the product as evenly as possible. It seems a little tougher to pull the brush out of the tube but you get a cleaner brush, which I really appreciate.

Wearing it all day, I didn't have any issues. Although there doesn't seem to be a waterproof or a water-resistant formula, this didn't give me raccoon eyes. It's easy to remove with a gentle eye makeup remover (no tugging, yay!). I've always thought that CoverGirl makes pretty good mascara and the ones I've tried worked well at defining lashes. The Clump Crusher has the additional benefit of being slowly volumizing and even lengthening, all the while maintaining that definition and keeping clumps at bay.

The only caveat here is that it takes quite a number of swipes to get really good volume. This is fine only because no matter how many times I swipe, it seems that it doesn't make the lashes stick together. However, it demanded more patience of me than normal.

If I don't wear mascara, my lashes are barely visible. With the Clump Crusher, they look dark, long and lush. It holds the curl well but maintains a soft, touchable feel. Overall, it's excellent. I'm going to grab a brown one next time to look more in tune with my hair color. I'll write another review then. (Before and after pics below.)


above, before

after two dips in the tube and multiple swipes

I see my lashes! Woohoo!

I've just received the new Chanel mascara and will be reviewing that soon. Isn't it an exciting time for our lashes? :)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot, I was curious about this mascara!
    Like you, I find that the Covergirl Lash Blast mascaras need a lot of going back and forth with the wand in order to build up on the lashes. Sometimes it annoys me because I'd like the process to be faster in the morning... the result is beautiful, though! I own the purple one and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine how long it takes me with my short, thin lashes! I like the definition this gives but I'm experimenting with using it alongside another volumizing mascara to see if I can speed up the process.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I wonder if it would work... I hope it does and save you some time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. there actually is a water-resistant one out now...have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, i saw that. i haven't gotten around to trying it though.

      Delete