Wednesday, September 26, 2012

L'Oreal Youth Code BB Cream Illuminator




I decided to try out the L'Oreal Youth Code BB Cream Illuminator. This was the last "BB Cream" product that I used over the summer and I still use it now. There are two shades and after testing a bit of both on my hand, I had to go with the light one.


Left: Light, Right: Medium

You'll find this item in the skincare aisle, not at the L'Oreal cosmetics display. They have another BB Cream product there which I'll tell you a little bit about at the end of this post. What this tells me off the bat is that the L'Oreal Youth Code BB Cream Illuminator should be treated more as a skincare item and not as makeup.

It's somewhat thick for a moisturizer but it blends out sufficiently well and disappears into my skin in time. It has an almost strange sort of matte finish. Not entirely what I expected of an "illuminator" but hardly any coverage. Nothing remarkable about the scent but it is there. The product is on the pricey side so it's interesting to have a look at what's in it and what claims they make regarding its benefits. Personally, I think the claims are exaggerated (instantly evens, illuminates, perfects, moisturizes and protects? I'll give them 2 out of 5 for moisture and the SPF). However, it's easy to use the product everyday, like you would any tinted moisturizer.






I am waiting for some long-term benefits but so far haven't seen any. Safe to say, you can't expect to look perfect with just this on, unless you have truly wonderful, even skin. It's a moisturizer with a light tint and the mildest SPF. Don't expect much more and you won't be disappointed.

UPDATE 12/30/12: I've finally gotten around to trying the L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream. This is the BB Cream product that L'Oreal has in the cosmetics section. My samples were all in the shade Light but there are four shades in total for this product. Like the Youth Code BB Cream, L'Oreal claims that this product hydrates, hides flaws, evens and primes. I think it's an interesting effort and it seems to actually do all these things. Out of the tube, it comes out as a white liquid but it changes to skin color as you spread it on. I use my fingers to distribute the product across the skin, to make sure I get to all the little nooks and crannies, especially around the nose. Upon initial application, the shade seemed very pink on me but as the day wore on, it kind of melted into the skin and didn't look too off. There was some coverage and I did feel a bit moisturized. As I tried not to set with powder, it looked shiny after a couple of hours. However, a quick dusting with translucent powder fixed that.

Overall, I had a good experience with the Magic Beautifier BB Cream but I disliked how it seemed to be loaded with silicones. I'm averse to the slimy feel of the product when applying it to the skin. I also found the odor off-putting although it disappeared shortly after application. I prefer something more moisturizing and less luminizing but that's definitely a personal thing. I imagine that this can be used as a primer. If you feel like you need more coverage, add foundation or concealer on top. It certainly has that primer feel to it but I like the amount of coverage it gives. The skin still looks natural, just evened out. If the color looks good on you and the silicones don't break you out, it's worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment