Friday, June 1, 2012

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sun Protection SPF 55

I thought I'd start rolling out a few of these sunscreen reviews now. I'll start with a product that I use year-round, the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid Daily Sun Protection SPF 55. This is a sheer liquid sunscreen designed mostly for use on the face. It has a very runny consistency and sinks right into the skin. This throws me off somewhat because I find that I'm never sure how much of it I need to put on to guarantee an SPF of 55. You always read that people never put on enough sunscreen to get the SPF on the label and if I were to use a shotglass worth full tablespoon of this product to cover my face and neck everytime I use it, I would have to buy a new bottle every few days.




Without knowing whether or not the SPF works as promised (and not really being able to gauge that well when using any sunscreen), I'm going to limit my reviews to product consistency, general texture, color and odor, ease of use and a general like or dislike of it.

I have faith in Neutrogena's Helioplex technology. The broad spectrum protection it provides, in a formula stabilized by Helioplex makes me feel secure. It's also not ridiculously expensive.

Obviously, I like this product enough to buy it a couple times a year. I think it works best for everyday, under makeup. It does leave a light white film when you first put it on but the skin absorbs it fairly quickly and that disappears to a faint white tinge that is easily covered up by foundation.

It has a light fragrance that is similar to other Neutrogena sunscreen products. It comes out of the bottle as a runny white liquid that you pour into your palm and spread all over the face with your fingers. The bottle needs to be shaken well before each use and you absolutely must avoid getting this into your eyes. I speak from experience that it really hurts when this stuff gets into your eyes. When I apply it, from the forehead, I have to stop right before the eyebrows. Then I go straight to the cheeks, not going anywhere above the cheekbone, and apply it to the rest of the face.

If you do get it into your eyes, the instructions on the back of the bottle tell you to rinse with water. However, I am a contact lens wearer and this exacerbates the issue. The few times that it's happened, I had to remove my contact lenses, rinse my eyes out with water and also put in eye drops to calm them. It takes awhile to get it all out and you have to make sure that you get it all off of the perimeter of the eye as well.




All told, I like this product enough to repurchase it but I do not recommend this for use at the pool or the beach. Although the Neutrogena website says that this is waterproof/sweatproof, I do not see that written anywhere on the bottle. I do not believe that this is waterproof at all. In my experience, if you get water on it (even sweat), it will migrate to your eye area. I've already described what happens then.

If you work in an air-conditioned environment and want sunscreen with a reasonably high SPF to put on under your foundation, this has a nice matte finish that looks good and feels light. Apply 15 minutes before sun exposure (as per the back of the bottle) and you're protected for that drive to the office. However, for use at the pool and the beach, I believe that there are much better options within the brand.

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 10%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 7.5%, Oxybenzone 5%.

No comments:

Post a Comment