Monday, July 2, 2012

L'Oreal Sublime Sun Advanced Sunscreen SPF 50+


L'Oreal Sublime Sun Advanced Sunscreen SPF 50+

When a celebrity endorses a product, not necessarily in an ad but say, in an interview, you have to wonder if the recommendation is credible at all. I admit, I looked at the L'Oreal Sublime Sun Advanced Sunscreen SPF 50+ because Jennifer Lopez said that this was her sunscreen of choice (she is a brand endorser) and that she uses it on her kids too. When I got to the sunscreen aisle, the promise of "skin beautifying suncare with antioxidants" was, in the end, what made me buy it.




I bought both the lotion in the tube and the Hydra Lotion Spray. Let me start with the lotion, pictured above, which I found to have a nice consistency when I squeezed it on to my hand. It's not too cream-like but not runny either. The lotion feels moisturizing to the skin, which I like. I wouldn't call it greasy, but it leaves legs and arms with that lightly oiled look instead of whitish or grey. I don't feel like I'm wearing sunscreen but instead like I've slathered on a body oil. I used it on my face (even if there is a separate product that is designed for facial use specifically) and I did not have any problems.


My daughter holds the Hydra Lotion Spray

As for the spray, I first used it when I attempted to reapply sunscreen by the pool. The spray mechanism annoyed the heck out of me. At first, I couldn't get it pressed down. When I finally broke the seal on it, I realized that it only responds when you press down on one particular spot right at the very edge of the bottle, opposite from where the sprayer hole is. Because I didn't know this, it sprayed everywhere that first go. Then it came with a separate lid, which on one occasion, I lost underneath a lounge chair.

Why L'Oreal went with this spray bottle confuses me as other brands like Neutrogena, Aveeno and Coppertone have all adopted a reliable and reasonably good spray mechanism that you can open and close without need for a separate lid. L'Oreal's Hydra Lotion Spray bottle looks nice but the spray mechanism feels so flimsy. I've noticed that it sprays differently too. I feel like I get a lot more product out with each spray with L'Oreal than with other brands. I don't know if this is good or wasteful. It coats the skin in white (not clear) as you spray it on, which prompts you to rub it in, like most sprays have to be anyway. Once rubbed in, it doesn't look white anymore.

Scent-wise, I didn't notice anything at all. It doesn't seem perfumed, nor does it smell industrial. This is definitely a plus. However, with consistent use at the pool, I was left with a mild tan line on my chest and shoulders when I used these two L'Oreal products. I use all sunscreen products pretty much the same way unless advised to do so differently in the product literature, and I'm normally generous with the amount that I use. Most chemical sunscreens need to be applied 15-30 minutes before sun exposure. I pretty much always go with 30 minutes before. Most need to be reapplied in two hours. I do not stay out at the pool for more than two hours in general, but I reapply my sunscreen at least once while there (which means I'm applying maybe every hour) and I try to stay under the shade whenever possible. With an SPF of 50+, I do not think that I should have tanned at all. I never did with Neutrogena. So, JLo, I do not approve of your choice of sunscreen product. These two will definitely not be repurchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment