Tuesday, June 19, 2012

L'Oreal Infallible 24 HR Eye Shadows (Smoldering Plum, Liquid Diamond)

L'Oreal Infallible 24 HR Eye Shadows in Smoldering Plum and Liquid Diamond)

Some new L'Oreal Infallible 24 HR Eye Shadows for you! The brand seems to have released a few more since the original launch. I missed out on a tiny batch but am totally psyched to show you the latest ones that I picked up last week.




I adore plum shades. But sometimes they're not done right. I lamented the fact that L'Oreal didn't release the shade Burning Black in the US but all is forgiven now that we have Smoldering Plum.






The color looks flat and scary in store lighting but dust a little sunlight on it and it pops, with all the glory of summer rain (see little sparkles!). Of course, it doesn't actually look like this when I put it on the lids but I love that I now have the option for depth with a little pluminess thrown in.




Smoldering Plum Swatches in various lighting above

If you want the shimmer, you get a better dose with Liquid Diamond. The shade is a silver/grey with plum undertones. Despite my skintone being on the warmer side, this silver/grey color looks flattering. I have a number of silver eyeshadows but I like this one a lot. Is it the shimmer or the way it reflects light? I can't pinpoint the reason but I'm digging it.







Liquid Diamond with swatches in various lighting above

I worked Smoldering Plum and Liquid Diamond into my current rotation by taking the principle of the NARS Ramatuelle trio, mixing warm and cool shades. I take Liquid Diamond and put it all over the lid until just past the crease. Pop Smoldering Plum on the outer corner and into the crease then I lightly sweep a sheer peach over the entire thing, blending it out really well above the crease before I top with a sheer beige highlighter under the brow.

One thing about these eyeshadows is that you need to use a primer with them. I've tried without and the 24 hour claims swirled down the toilet. Crease-country in 8 hours. The formula itself can be patchy to apply and difficult to blend. It's pressed pigment, after all. I've learned that they need a sticky base to adhere to and the more flypaperesque (new word, huh?) your eyeshadow base is, the better this eyeshadow will work for you. NARS Smudge Proof is a good one. But I recently rediscovered a bunch of these Kat Von D High Voltage Eye Primer samples in my stash and they do an excellent job with the L'Oreal Infallible 24 HR Eye Shadows.


Kat Von D High Voltage Eye Primer Sample

If you've tried these pressed eye shadows before (and I've reviewed a number of them here and here), you may have figured out how to work with them. If you've tried the L'Oreal Infallible 24 HR Eye Shadows and the Armani Eyes To Kill Intense Eyeshadows (reviewed here) that they tend to be compared to, you'll see the difference in the quality. I still think that L'Oreal deserves props for coming out with a more affordable version but if you have difficulty working with loose or pressed pigment in general, using these will remain tricky. I have a mood for them. Sometimes I think they're ok and sometimes they're the bane of my existence. Yet, I cannot resist picking up a color here and there. These two shades, Smoldering Plum and Liquid Diamond, worked out for me. Maybe not so much for summer but I can see myself using them more in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment