Saturday, June 9, 2012

Diorshow Mascara and Diorshow Maximizer Lash Primer

I have a lot of respect for the classic Diorshow mascara and I know that it is loved by many. I've used it a few times in the past and although I think that the formula is very good, I have always had difficulty using the large brush. My last tube was purchased as part of a buy 2 get 1 free offer, so I received this particular tube for free.




In the first couple of weeks of use, I remembered how nice and evenly Diorshow applies. It is more of a volumizer as opposed to a lengthener but does a nice job of making my lashes look just a little more... there. I don't have a lot of lashes to work with and they're not long. I typically have to use a lash curler to get anything of an eye-opening effect. Also, my lashes are brown. So I have to pick the blackest black mascara whenever possible to make them pop.




It dawned on me yesterday, as I stared up at the wall of wedding photographs in my home, that this was the mascara I used on my first wedding, the civil ceremony. And I remember clearly that this started running the second I cried. But it's not a water-resistant formula so all is forgiven. I also didn't have many pictures of that day since we saved the photographer for the church wedding.

My issue with the classic Diorshow mascara is that I feel that for all the hype, and the price, it's underwhelming. Plus, whenever I buy one, the tube seems to dry out a lot faster than I'd like. If I'm spending $7 a pop, maybe I wouldn't mind getting a new tube every month. But this is $25 a tube. I can't justify it.




Dior came out with a lash primer a couple of years ago. I've had this sample sitting at my desk for a long time and I thought about using it when I opened this tube of Diorshow mascara. My sample simply says Lash Primer so I am a little uncertain if this is the same as the Lash Plumping Serum that the brand now sells. It looks like the same product. The brush also looks the same.




This being a sample, I wasn't surprised when it seemed to run out pretty quickly. In the first few uses, the primer felt more effective. After a week or so, it just felt dried up and I had to go back into the tube two or three times to get sufficient coating on each set of lashes. When I say sufficient, I mean that most of the base of my lashes would be covered in white, which is the color of this primer. I do not think that it dries clear. I also don't like to let it dry completely before I put on mascara. When I do, I find that the primer makes the lashes stick together and I have a difficult time unsticking them. As far as effect goes, it adds volume, so I prefer to concentrate it at the lash base. But sadly, that's pretty much it. I really don't feel that there are any other benefits to using this primer.




I remember reading somewhere that mascara is one of those things that you really don't need to spend a lot of money on because drugstore brands make very competitive items to these department store brands. In the case of the classic Diorshow mascara and the Diorshow Maximizer Lash Primer, I will have to agree with that. I need to be wowed by something to feel like spending my green on a new tube every month. For someone with an impressive set of lashes to begin with, maybe Diorshow is all you need. I definitely need more than that.

2 comments:

  1. I've been very curious about the New Look mascara they recently launched. I really wanted to like the original Diorshow--but it was SO clumpy and goopy. Every time I took the wand out of the tube, it was completely and utterly gunked up with product. I felt like I had to waste so much by wiping it off on a tissue. and I had the best results the first few times I used it (after declumping the wand). After a week or so, my lashes were super clumpy and I could never get it to work right again :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of volumizing mascaras tend to behave that way, I think. The Dior ones just dry up so fast! Thanks for sharing your experience. You've reminded me to check out New Look. I heard that it has a small brush. Although I have a dozen mascaras left to sample so I may not be able to get to it any time soon.

      Delete