Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sunscreen Parade

We had such glorious weather this past weekend that it's hard to believe it's not truly summer yet. My husband and I chose between going to the Jersey Shore where we normally go and checking out Ocean City, MD. We opted to drive down to Maryland (something of a new fascination as we had been to other parts of Maryland twice this year already) and I am so glad we did! The experience turned out better than our multiple trips to Cape May and Ocean City, NJ. Even the drive itself, while slightly longer, was vastly better. We left rather early, which helped us avoid traffic. But I have this impression that the roads are wider and there are more and better options to stop at in case we wanted to grab some food.


Some of the sunscreen products in my arsenal

Being something of a cheerleader for sunscreen, I packed several varieties for our day. I applied Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 55 all over the body and Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Daily Sun Protection SPF 55 on the face before leaving the house. I used Neutrogena Wet Skin Sunblock Spray SPF 30 when we got to our destination and sprayed anew every hour. Although I like going to the beach and sitting on a chair under a wide-brimmed umbrella, I do not actually like going into the water or walking under the sun. My daughter enjoys playing in the sand but I try to keep her under the shade as much as possible. On her I've been using Up & Up Baby Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50 before going to the beach and I pack the items pictured below in a transparent bag as shown. On both of us, I also used the Kiehl's Ultra Moisturizing Eye Stick SPF 30 which I talked about in a previous post. No sharing. I bought my own.


My Daughter's Sunscreen Pack

I can't tell you which of the various sunscreens in our arsenal are the best ones but I am planning to get some bullet points out about each item within the next few weeks. I'm glad to say that despite three days of sun exposure, we have not tanned. I am a little surprised that despite heavy bombardment by the media of the ill-effects of tanning and the need for religious sunscreen use, people still flock to the beach and lay there under the sun. Many are visibly baked or burned within hours and even if I see some applying some kind of sun lotion, they still desire to lay exposed to the sun for long periods. I can understand people that like to play volleyball at the beach or engage in watersports but tanning like it's a sport? If beach umbrellas were free to borrow, would people still be laying there on a towel at the beach without some form of cover? I bet they would. Many are probably tired of hearing that heavy sun exposure can be bad. But can I say it again? Heavy sun exposure can be really bad.

Call me strange but I am that lady strutting down the boardwalk with an umbrella. I actually heard a little boy ask his mommy, "Why is that lady using an umbrella?" and I had to smile. But as I turned to see if I could overhear the mom's answer, I noted that there was another lady sharing her umbrella with her male companion and her umbrella was much fancier than mine. It was purple and "bejeweled" (with sequins), as my husband put it. I defended myself by declaring that my umbrella was more summery. I have lemons and limes! My umbrella is turquoise! But really, I was glad to see that I wasn't the only person who thought about busting out an umbrella to trot down the boardwalk. I just wish I heard what the mother said to explain it to her son.

I must thank my husband for being supportive about my desire to keep shaded. He carried two large beach umbrellas to the sand, with 3 hefty folding chairs and also walked back to the car when we reached the boardwalk as I had realized that I forgot to bring my umbrella. Sad to note, said turquoise umbrella with lemons and limes is now missing. However, I have two more somewhat summery umbrellas to use while I continue to search for it.


5 comments:

  1. One habit Westerners can contemplate borrowing from Asians is the use of umbrellas for sun protection as well as for rain protection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sorry for the extra comment, but I would love to read your thoughts on the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock line, especially the SPF 30, if you use that one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're fine! I was going to write it all down yesterday but didn't want to have such a long post. I am planning to write about each sunscreen line one post at a time. Maybe I will start with that. I use SPF 45-55 of that one though.

      Delete
  3. omg you just might be my sun protection soulmate! check out my lineup of sun products if you have time (if the profanity offends you, sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fantastic! it's nice to know i'm not the only one who goes around trying out different sunscreens. i use the sunblock stick too, even if it's for kids. i looked at your lineup. got me thinking about having a look at la roche posay now. i just kind of balk at the price. still thinking...

      Delete