Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm in Pudgy Peony and Voluptuous Violet

They're back! The Clinique Chubby Sticks are out in new colors. I had a chance to play with eight new shades and try them all on at a Clinique counter but decided to pick up just two. I got the hot pink Pudgy Peony and the dark berry Voluptuous Violet.





I previously reviewed the shade Woppin' Watermelon (here). I remember loving it last summer because it was easy to apply, did not ever need sharpening and it was comfortable on. It moisturized, provided a tiny dose of color and costs half a Chanel Rouge Coco Shine. All this still holds true, but now there are more colors to choose from.




Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm in Voluptuous Violet

Left: Pudgy Peony, Right: Voluptuous Violet

Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm in Pudgy Peony

I picked 15 Pudgy Peony because it seemed the most pigmented of the bunch. I got the most color out of it and it was just so pretty on! 16 Voluptuous Violet wasn't nearly as pigmented but I thought that my collection could use a darker berry shade since it's a color I would rarely buy. Because of the sheerness, it doesn't come off anywhere near as scary violet as its appearance would suggest. You see that in the swatch.


Top: Pudgy Peony, Bottom: Woppin' Watermelon (used)

Indoor Swatches L-R: Woppin' Watermelon, Pudgy Peony, Voluptuous Violet

Comparing Pudgy Peony with the Woppin' Watermelon I got last year, I suddenly got the sense that Woppin' Watermelon was overwhelmingly light and sheer. But most of the other newly-released colors are like this too. They swatch super sheerly and tend to look somewhat the same on the lips. The only other shade that did not give me that impression was the red Two Ton Tomato. I seriously thought about getting that one too but felt that I had enough sheer reds in my stash and I wouldn't wear it as much as a pink.

If you like the formula of the Clinique Chubby Sticks, now's the time to have another look. The other new shades are Heaping Hazelnut, Bountiful Blush, Oversized Orange, Mighty Mimosa and Curvy Candy. The Clinique website has a GWP right now with any $23.50 purchase. Each Chubby Stick currently retails at $16. I got mine at Nordstrom.

No comments:

Post a Comment