Friday, May 4, 2012

Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting Compact


Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting Compact

Burberry Beauty has come out with a Limited Edition powder for the summer. It's called the Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting Compact. The powder has four shades that can be used individually around the face and on the eyes. You can also swirl a brush through all four shades and sweep the color all over the face for a glowy summer look.







The Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting Compact comes in the usual magnetic Burberry compact but with a beige pouch. It does not come with a brush like I'd hoped. The brand recommends using the Burberry Beauty Brush with it. In concept, it fits right in with recent releases from other luxury brands like Dior and Chanel: a sheer bronzing and highlighting powder with multiple shades. It doesn't have as much bronze pigmentation as a traditional bronzer but it has a pearlescence to it when applied, so that it leaves skin looking luminous.






The idea of a multi-shade highlighting powder is not completely novel but the execution changes with each appearance. Burberry stuck to its colors by giving this palette a medium brown, a light tan, a pale brownish peach and a translucent cream shade, all infused with this pearly finish. It's not glitter or shimmer but gives a very understated radiance that reminds me of the effect of Guerlain's Meteorites, just not exactly the same. And again like Guerlain's, Burberry's powder products are highly scented. I find that the scent goes away quickly though. I like the way it smells so I don't mind.





I used to never offer swatches of bronzer or highlighters but people seem to want them so I tried my best to give this a whirl. For however helpful or unhelpful this picture is, on the leftmost I have the combined four shades in a wide swatch and then, if you can see four thinner lines from the center of the photograph, going to the right, the shades are swatched individually. The takeaway from the picture really is that the compact is tremendously sheer, which works if you're as fair as I am. It may not show up as anything at all if you're more tanned.





Before settling down to write this review, I wore this palette in every way I could imagine. I mixed all the four colors together and put it all over my face. I put the different shades on my lids, sometimes using just one, other times using more than one color. I've also selectively dipped my brush into each shade, using as I saw fit. It actually works in all aforementioned ways. But by far, my favorite technique is to start with the peach, across cheeks and over lids, into the browns for the hollows of the cheeks, then mixing all four shades to bring color up to the temples, the perimeter of the face, the nose and the chin. I finish with a quick swipe across the bridge of the nose with the cream shade. The face ends up less one-dimensional and gets a glow in all the right places. It photographs really well too.

I like the product a lot. Perhaps I prefer it more for the fact that it can be used generously to build a subtle tan over my pale face. Sometimes, in the middle of the day, I still use it for touch ups. Not that it fades but I like to build up the color, to see how tan it's actually going to make me look. I really appreciate that it doesn't leave me orangey or too pink no matter how much I put on. It builds a believeable tan on me. However, what has stopped me from giving it HG status is that in certain lighting, I feel that the pearlescent finish can look somewhat greyish. I actually wonder if it would have benefited me if this compact had a fifth shade that was gold, for more warmth. Or perhaps maybe one of them could have been switched to a warmer color. I realize though, that what I'm actually describing is the Chanel Luminous Bronzing Powder in Sable Beige. Inevitably, I will be comparing the two when I write the review for that.

All my experimentation leads me to believe that the Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Natural Highlighting Compact will be most appreciated by a cool-toned segment that is pale with pink undertones. I say this only because if you have pink undertones and find that most bronzers turn orange on you, this one won't. Although I think anyone can wear this, in the same way that anyone can wear a sheer highlighting powder. It's a matter of knowing what to do with it. Although Burberry recommends using their Beauty Brush with it, I don't have it so I've never tried it. I rather like using my Chanel Angled Powder Brush No. 2 with it (reviewed here). It allows me to select one or two shades to use at a time, if I want to. And I can sweep it all over the four colors with that as well. A denser, more firm brush will likely allow you to grab more powder but that's really all a matter of what you're used to doing. The Burberry Sheer Summer Glow Compact is buildable and makes a really good finishing powder for the summer. I've been skipping loose powder lately and using just this over foundation. It looks incredibly natural. I think a little blush over it still perks up the face but you could skip it in favor of a very neutral look and then punch it up with a bright lip.

Speaking of lips, Burberry includes four shades of the Lip Mist in their collection for summer (No. 210-213). While my initial experience with the Lip Mists wasn't particularly stellar, I'm willing to have another look. The associate who assisted me gave me a four shade sample of the Lip Mists, though not the four in the summer collection, along with a packet of the Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base. I'm looking forward to swatching those Lip Mists for you when the sun finally comes out.



7 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting, I have been dying to get my hands on this since I heard about it. I am a big fan of Burberry products. I am a NC35 at the moment but looking at your swatches it might not even show up on me but nevertheless it is so pretty to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see what effect this will have on someone with a very different skintone from mine. True, it is very sheer. But it could still be pretty!

      Delete
  2. What a great post, I found it very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your blog! Such great reviews: in-depth, wonderful pics & elegant prose :) I just ordered this from Nordstrom, your review convinced me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I really hope that you will like it. But if for some reason it doesn't work out, I won't worry since I know you got it at Nordstrom :)

      Delete
    2. I'm pretty sure it'll be a keeper, but I do love Nordstrom's liberal return policy :)

      Delete