Monday, May 21, 2012

Burberry Sheer Luminous Concealer


Burberry Sheer Luminous Concealer

Continuing my search for the perfect pen concealer, I decided to try out the Burberry Sheer Luminous Concealer. My foundation shade teeters between Burberry Trench No. 3 and Trench No. 4. I can wear either shade for most of the year. However, make no mistake about the numbering because No. 4 is actually paler and more yellow than No. 3. I like their foundation a lot so I was hoping to have the same luck with their concealers. I ordered No. 2 Soft Beige.




The Burberry Sheer Luminous Concealer has a button at the bottom of the pen that releases product. You press on the button, as opposed to twisting the entire bottom section like most pen concealers. I had to push that button about 10 times during my first use before any product was dispensed into the brush tip. After that initial use, I just pushed it a couple of times to get the product out.




A Burberry associate sent me a four-shade sample card of their sheer concealer after I had already purchased No. 2 Soft Beige. It was a very nice gesture and so allowed me to be able to swatch those four shades for you. These are the four lightest colors that they carry and there are only a couple more, darker shades, available. It's safe to assume that I would find my match within these first four. However, I've found my needs to fall in between No. 2 and No. 3. The No. 2 Soft Beige that I bought, while not ridiculously pale (as No. 1 probably would have been), lacks the pink/peach pigment that corrects the discoloration right under my eye. The No. 3 though, is too dark and has too much of that pigment to work properly for me. I've succesfully mixed the two shades to get a pretty good match but I'm on the fence about buying the No. 3 and having to mix the shades with every use.


L-R: No. 1 Light Beige, No. 2 Soft Beige, No. Rosy Beige, No. 4 Sandy Beige


Same swatches, indoor lighting, bounce flash

Walking into this, I already expected sheerer coverage than the previous products I tried so it was not a surprise that the product turned out to be quite... sheer. I don't typically need a lot of coverage under the eye area so I'm not afraid to try out under-eye concealers that don't cover a lot. I know that I can always pick up one of my trusty pan concealers for heavy-duty coverage. I understand the light-reflecting qualities that many pen concealers have, as some of them double as highlighters too. In that regard, I think that the Burberry Sheer Luminous Concealer serves better as a highlighter. If you need actual coverage, you may want to start with a corrector and then plop some of this over the corrector and it will help brighten up the area. There is a little bit of a pearl finish to it that helps generate radiance although I've found this generally unflattering to me as it leaves a greyish cast in certain lighting. I have the same issue with other "radiance" products within the line. I'm more used to seeing that pearl finish with a little more warmth so that white-grey light reflection isn't something that I hold dear.


Ingredients list on sample card

I know that $40 is the norm for a lot of these department store brands and I'm not averse to spending that much for an amazing all-in-one product. The Burberry Sheer Luminous Concealer falls short in a few places so I needed to keep looking. However, I may keep using No. 2 Soft Beige for highlighting now and again. One last thing that I wanted to note is that the Burberry pen contains 0.08 oz. of product. At $40, you do get a slightly better value and it will not run out as fast the Chanel Éclat Lumière Highlighting Face Pen. However, I believe that YSL's Touche Eclat contains .1 oz. With all three clocking in at $40, YSL gives you the most value for money in this category.

No comments:

Post a Comment