Friday, May 18, 2012

Armani Eyes To Kill Intense Eyeshadow in Obsidian Black, Obsidian Grey, Ecailles and Madre Perla



Giorgio Armani's Bronze Color Collection for 2012 is a different collection for summer. Most of the brands that I generally have a look at went with more traditional bronzes and corals. One went pastel and another captured the turquoise waters of the Riviera. Armani Beauty seems to have gone further down into the ocean with darker shades of blue, plundering the depths to find algae, seaweed, oysters and more exotic animal life, then using their scales as inspiration. There are four lip glosses, a two-shade face palette, 2 eye palettes and four new shades of Eyes To Kill Intense Eyeshadow.





As I've never been impressed with the Armani eye palettes and I wasn't in the market for another blush or highlighter, I zeroed in on the four new, limited edition shades of Eyes To Kill Intense Eyeshadow. These four are said to be a pearl blend, which sets them apart from the previous Eyes To Kill Intense Eyeshadow releases, and two of the shades take on obsidian, a type of glass/rock produced from cooled lava. Volcanoes and rocks fascinate me. I had to see.


Armani Eyes To Kill Intense Eyeshadow in 20 Obsidian Black



Obsidian Black, number 20, looks blue-green and black in the pot. Dry, it swatches pretty much black, which was disappointing. I felt that I couldn't get the other pigments in it to translate on the eye. I'd like that blue-green to show up better but when I put it on, I don't see it. It just looks black.


Armani Eyes To Kill Intense Eyeshadow in 21 Obsidian Grey



Number 21 Obsidian Grey was not as fascinating to look at in the pot but captivated me once I'd see the swatch in the sun. At first glance, it seems like a silvery blue-grey but closer inspection will tell you that there are several micro-pigments in there and they make this color multi-dimensional. I especially like that the sun catches a sort of violet-taupeness to it.


Swatches L-R: 20 Obsidian Black, 21 Obsidian Grey, 22 Ecailles, 23 Madre Perla

Armani Eyes To Kill Intense Eyeshadow in 22 Ecailles



Ecailles, number 22, looks like teal and silver mixed in the pot. It comes off an iridescent silver-blue when swatched. I wasn't sure how I would like it and only because I tend to like darker eyeshadow shades over lighter ones (when it comes to blues and silvers), this did not excite me much. The three colors have that blue-green pigment that ties them all together and yet they all look completely different from one another when applied. If I had to pick one, I would probably just get Obsidian Grey because it's a nice mid-point as far as these three shades go. But what it boils down to is that I like that color best. It's a purely subjective thing.


Swatches L-R: 20 Obsidian Black, 21 Obsidian Grey, 22 Ecailles, 23 Madre Perla

Armani Eyes To Kill Intense Eyeshadow in 23 Madre Perla



Number 23, Madre Perla, is probably the easiest to work with in this bunch. It's pink and pearl in the pot but applies more sheerly than the others. It can be used as a base, a highlighter (and not just on eyes) or by itself, for that pearlized look. It's a multi-tasker, although not necessarily something that everyone needs in their collection. This is one of those colors that in its sheerness, also works as top layer to give other eyeshadow colors a rainbow sheen. Does it all!


Armani Eyes To Kill Intense Eyeshadow Limited Edition Shades for Summer 2012

Swatches indoors L-R: 20 Obsidian Black, 21 Obsidian Grey, 22 Ecailles, 23 Madre Perla

Click to enlarge ingredients list from box

The Armani Eyes To Kill Intense Eyeshadows are basically pressed pigment. It's not a cream shadow and it's not your typical powder eyeshadow either. There is a stopper in every pot which can be used to press the pigment down whenever they start to loosen up. I've seen these dry up in counter testers. They become powdery and inadherent but I haven't had any problems with the old ones that I've had. I just keep them capped securely.

If you are not used to working with pigments, these could be a challenge to apply. They seem to like a patting motion, as opposed to a sweeping one. But they work wet or dry. I always get fallout during application (but not during wear, just to be clear) so when I use these, I apply my eye makeup before foundation, just to lessen the necessary clean up. Contact lens wearers be extra careful. I've had pigment fall into my eye. I had to take off the lens, rub off the pigment from it with solution and then I had to remove all the makeup I had put on and wash my eye too. I need to be more careful, I know. For the most part, incidents like that tend to make me use products like this sparingly. If you want to practice with a less expensive counterpart, pick up the L'Oreal Infallible 24 HR Eye Shadows (posted here and here) first. They don't have multi-colored iridescent pigments in them but the concept is the same.

The Armani Eyes To Kill Intense Eyeshadows cost a pretty penny but you get 0.14 oz. in each of these pots (L'Oreal gives you .12 oz.) and they have amazing staying power even without a primer on. I find that when I want to do a particularly exciting eye look for evening, I tend to grab one of these. It's guaranteed to not fade or crease. The four colors in the Bronze Color Collection coordinate very well with one another and they are limited edition. If there is no counter near you, I hope my post has helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment