Monday, April 16, 2012

Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush



It wasn't so much a search for a new foundation brush but a cream blush brush that led me to Shiseido's doorstep. What I had in mind was a synthetic flat top with the perfect density to handle cream formulas and at the same time have such soft hairs so as not to agitate my temperamental cheek area. Instead I found what is now my favorite foundation brush.




Not for use with water-resistant formulas.


Shiseido's Perfect Foundation Brush is a spin on the flat top. The top is flat but the hairs are arranged so that the head is angled ever so slightly, letting you reach into the crevices of the face with ease. It's densely-packed but quite soft against the skin. The short handle gives you nice control and makes the overall size of the brush travel-friendly.




In trying to compare it with other brushes that I have, the closest seems to be the Philosphy Airbrush Brush. The size of the head is almost the same but they're worlds apart in performance. The hairs are different, for one thing, although they are both soft. And then there's that angle, which is missing from the Philosophy Airbrush brush, making it more similar to a regular flat top. Although both are touted to be multi-use brushes (that is, they can be used with liquid, cream or powder formulas), for the liquid foundation I frequently use these days, the Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush is the perfect brush. (I am currently enjoying the Burberry Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation with it.)


Left: Philosophy Airbrush Brush, Right: Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush



I've found that using it like a regular foundation brush, just applying in downward strokes for the most part, it gives me a beautifully even and streak-free finish. You don't have to buff or rub. The process of foundation application is a lot faster with this brush than with any other brush that I have. I understand that people are used to different ways of applying foundation and some like to buff with a stippling brush. Others like to use their fingers or a sponge. I'm not partial to any method but use the method that I think works best with whatever foundation I'm using. Right now, I'm very happy with the Shiseido Perfect Foundation Brush. If you're in the market for a new one, this is definitely worth a try.

2 comments:

  1. The shape is quite unique! Does it work well for cream blushes as well as foundations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only used it with one type of cream blush (Becca's Lip & Cheek Creme which I had been testing) so I can't say this is conclusive but I'd say yes, it works well with cream blushes too. It depends on how you like to apply your cream blush as some types seem to apply better with a stippling brush or even a regular blush brush. Anything that you can use a synthetic flat top with, you can use Shiseido's Perfect Foundation brush with. I just try to stay away from stain formulas and water-resistant product as they can be really hard to clean off of the brush.

      Delete