Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Sephora + Pantone Universe Color of the Year Nail Enamel Set

For over a year now, I've thought about buying myself a bottle of orange nail polish. I don't mean coral or peach but something really bright and orange. Chanel's Orange Fizz was always attractive, with a nice opaque formula, but I was never pushed over the edge until I met Tangerine Tango.




First, let's talk about the price. This is four bottles of polish for $24. Nail Polish in the $6 price range per bottle seems average (Essie, OPI and Zoya are in the $7-10 range. I get L'Oreal for $5) except in this case, like it or not, you pay for all four. Then there was the 15% discount. I just went ahead and bought the set. (And still spent less than if I'd bought one bottle of Chanel Orange Fizz or Dior).




You get Tangerine Tango in four different incarnations. There's creme, shimmer, matte and glitter. I'm partial to creamy shades but I do like the occasional shimmer. I don't think I'll have much use for matte or glitter but if you like working with layers and playing around with finishes, this set is certainly fun and fancy. I immediately put that bottle of Tangerine Tango Creme to work.


Tangerine Tango Creme

After the two coats dried down, I experimented with one coat of shimmer. Used by itself, the shimmer polish is a translucent red orange and requires three coats to come closer to the opacity of one coat of the creme. If you have the set, I think it's better as a topper. (Pictures are clickable)


2 coat Tangerine Tango Creme, 1 coat Tangerine Tango Shimmer on top

I attempted to sample the matte and glitter but the style didn't seem quite me. You could use them together and lose the matte finish in favor of shine and some glitter. Here is what the matte and glitter shades look like by themselves. I took another picture of the glitter on another nail, just to show how the light catches the different colors on it. It's intoxicating to look at but I can't seem to bring myself to wear it. Maybe I'll try it on toes. Someday.


Tangerine Tango Matte on left, Tangerine Tango Glitter on right



Overall, it's a nice set to commemorate the color. The polish itself has a good formula. It applied smoothly (although the glitter one was trickier to work with but that's glitter for you) and hasn't chipped on me. As you have it on your nails longer, the reddish tones seem to intensify, making the color more red orange but still bright and cheery. I don't think I'll be wearing this past the summer but I definitely like it right now. (Also check out the new look of Sephora.com. They now have online inventory and can tell you whether the nearest store has your item in stock. Like it!)


No comments:

Post a Comment