Friday, April 20, 2012

Guerlain by Emilio Pucci Météorites Perles d'Azur Illuminating Powder and Powder Brush

Guerlain by Emilio Pucci Meteorites Perles d'Azur Illuminating Powder - Pure Radiance

I have never before purchased Guerlain's ever-popular Météorites Powder for the face. It's always in the back of my mind but it wasn't until the company collaborated with the house of Emilio Pucci to release this limited edition collection that I became hell-bent on nabbing one. Like, serious need. Like, I stalked the Sephora website until they had it in stock. Like, I had to get the brush too. That's a lot of like. And like a lot of Guerlain products, the packaging is too pretty for words.








The tin is similar to the regular Météorites tin except it's midnight blue (Perles d'Azur, like the flower?) and the lid features a version of the Pucci Winter Capri print. It's not embossed like the regular Météorites but it's still very pretty (must bring out thesaurus to avoid over-using the word pretty). For a change, no?




There are six different-colored Météorites pearls in the bucket. Each color is designed for a different purpose. Three colors correct and three colors enhance light. The idea is that with each color doing its job, your skin will look perfected and will reflect light in the most flattering way. You will be radiant. The Perles d'Azur Illuminating Powder has the color-corrective blue pearl, which like green pearls, counteract redness. The effect is totally sheer so if you're looking for color, you're looking at the wrong product. But as I haven't tried any of the other Météorites varieties, there's no way for me tell if the effect is the same as any of them.





The concept of the pearls is so delicately appealing to my logical mind that even if I don't need another illuminating product, I have yet again surrendered my wallet to Guerlain. The Pucci collaboration was simply icing on the cake and I was only too willing to shell out the extra dollar for the Winter Capri design. Heck, at least they didn't tack on fifteen limited edition/special collaboration bucks to the price tag, as labels are wont to do. Oh wait, I think they did that with the Terra Azzurra Bronzing Powder and Blush that came with this collection.





I reserve judgment. Guerlain's Météorites are such a controversial subject. There are devotees and then there's that segment of the population that sees nothing but another well-marketed, overpriced component of the disco ball look. Is it a practical buy? Well, no. It's a luxury brand. Nothing is a practical buy. But if you figure out how to use it to make yourself look and feel luxuriously beautiful, then it's all worth it. Just look (above) at how the pearls lightly glisten in the sun!

For me, just a whiff of their signature violet fragrance and I'm swooning. I actually removed the sponge that they used to cover the pearls upon opening and left it exposed in a little drawer so that I can smell the violets everytime I open it. I'm not planning to take this tin travelling anytime soon (they have a compact powder version for that purpose) so I don't need to keep the pearls covered. Or do I? I hope it wasn't in there for any other purpose than to keep the pearls secure. If you don't like the fragrance, you better stay away from this.

The container seems only about half-filled with pearls. The promo pictures led me to believe that I might get a container brimming with the little balls but as you can see from my pictures, it's not even close to full. I might buy another tin as a backup if I decide not to get the pressed version.




As for the brush, it appears to be a clone of the pink-bristled Météorites brush but with blue bristles, a bronze-colored ferrule and a brownish black handle. Personally, I'm not a fan of Guerlain brushes as every brush I'd bought from the brand didn't work out too well for me. But I bought this brush because it is so, so pretty (where is my thesaurus?!). They really know how to create an irresistible package.






I seriously thought about not using the Météorites Brush. I could just keep it in my drawer, with its little printed pouch. But as a first time Météorites Pearls customer, I desperately needed to know if applying the Météorites Powder really was amazingly better with this brush. Honestly, I don't think it does more than what other, less expensive brushes in my collection do. For more concentrated application on strips of the face, I find that I like using a fan brush instead. And that blue dye? So not fun. The water turned bluish every time I washed it. This is no surprise though, as every Guerlain brush I've bought has had a problem with dye-transfer. I'll keep it because it is so darned pretty (maybe I should Google thesaurus) but I may not use it that much.






The centerpiece of the summer collection is really the Terra Azzurra Bronzing Powder and Blush but I have no intention of grabbing that one. I don't need another orange bronzer. I'm just about the pearls. And you know what? Even if a highlighter/illuminator is something I tend to skip during my regular routine, having this has put me in the mood for it every single time. On the first outing, I made the mistake of using this on top of a dewy foundation. So maybe that was a little too much glow. I've since learned that this can be overdone. Just pick the high points of the face. Swirl your brush lightly over the pearls and then lightly over those high points. Voila! You're done! Easier than loose powder. And when the tin is empty, wash it, pop a clean powder puff or cotton rounds in there as a cushion and you've got yourself a fancy little bed for a favorite pair of earrings.






The Guerlain by Emilio Pucci Météorites Perles d'Azur Illuminating Powder - Pure Radiance ($59) and the Guerlain by Emilio Pucci Powder Brush ($43) are Beauty Insider Exclusive products available at Sephora's website. Also check the Guerlain counter at your favorite department store.

12 comments:

  1. so...how do you apply it? just swirl the brush over all those pearls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Just give it a quick swirl and apply to the high points of the face. You don't need a lot of product on the brush.

      Delete
  2. Your pictures make me really want this product! But is the brush really that bad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main attraction here is how nice the brush looks. I think that the hairs are scratchy and even after several washings, I still get some of that blue dye in the rinse. I understand that certain products need a stiffer brush to pick up more product but I prefer softer hairs against my face. I've had success with other brushes that are not necessarily as rough. With a semi-matte foundation on, I've also found that I can swirl it all over the face as a finishing powder using a very large Kevyn Aucoin Powder Brush. It leaves you radiant in one pass.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this devine review! You are so right about it being a luxury...but the smell alone is beyond amazing...I can't wait to get my hands on this!!!! It reminds me of parma violet candies from England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I adore the fragrance of it. It goes away after application though.

      Delete
  4. Love your review, even though you might feel like you need the thesaurus. ;) I was wondering, do you know how these pearls would be with an olive undertone? I'm a Meteorites virgin myself, but I'm totally suckered into this by Pucci-thing, and I've been looking at them several times, but... if I can't use them, then it'd be a tremendous waste of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pearls are sheer and they do not add color to the face. In principle, they are simply light-reflecting elements. I think that many women with olive undertones can wear it successfully and a lot of them have grown to love Meteorites products for that luminous quality that it lends to the skin. BUT because I think that there is always an exception to the rule and loving or hating this product depends on how you are used to seeing yourself in the mirror, you may prefer to try one of the varieties of Meteorites at a local Guerlain counter before splurging on the Pucci version.

      One other thing is that while this can be used all over the face, if you find that generous amounts tend to give you a somewhat ashy/ashen appearance, it may be wiser to concentrate it on the high points of the face. Areas that you want light reflection. A quick dusting on the forehead, a pass over the bridge of the nose and then two swipes over each cheekbone. Anyone, of any and every color, can use it on those high points successfully. It's your glow-getter! I hope that was helpful :)

      Delete
  5. Do you find it is decidedly "shimmery/glittery" or is it more of a glory sheen it gives to the skin? Really tempted just to put on my dressing table :P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allie! I do not find it glittery at all. With normal application, I don't even think it can be described as shimmery. A sheen, yes. I overdid it once because I layered a "dewy" product underneath. But all the other times I've used it, I never felt like I was too shiny. And does it look lovely on the dressing table? Totally, yes! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm new to applying make up and have only recently started applying foundation/powder to my face. I received a small container of Guerlain Meteorites Pearls. Do you think I should use the pearls before or after powdering my face? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pearls are more of a finishing product so I say definitely after. If you apply liquid foundation, you could set with powder before applying the pearls

      Delete