Thursday, April 19, 2012

Dior Diorskin Nude Tan Healthy Glow Enhacing Powder in 002 Sunlight

Dior Diorskin Nude Tan Healthy Glow Enhancing Powder in 002 Sunlight

I wanted to call this post "The Bronzer Story" because while I will be discussing the Dior Diorskin Nude Tan Healthy Glow Enhancing Powder in Sunlight and there will be a good number of pictures of it, this post is not necessarily going to be a standard review. I have found that using this product has made me really think about bronzers in general. It made me reexamine why I wanted to wear bronzer in the first place.





My relationship with bronzer goes all the way back to my college days. I was a fair-skinned, mixed-race 18 year old Broadcasting major, in a region of the world that glorified white skin. You'd think that makeup would be a cinch for a television performance class but I was so wrong. After I did my first newscast assignment, the teacher told me to go find a way to make myself darker because I looked like a ____ on tv.

Did she say that because I applied my makeup incorrectly and inadvertently made myself ridiculously pale? Was it the poor lighting in our school studios that rendered me somewhat ghostly white? Or was it all a matter of personal taste (as my teacher was on the more golden side of the word tanned)? I didn't really have time to think about the reasons then. I hauled myself to the mall and returned home with my first bronzer, a loose powder type from The Body Shop. I used this bronzer mixed with my Coty loose powder to brown myself before each "appearance" and I didn't hear the "go make yourself darker" comment again.





For everyday makeup, I now feel that bronzer is best used as a tool to give the skin a healthy glow. I'm perfectly fine with the color of my skin. I just want to look even. For me, its main purpose is to match the color of my face with that of my neck and chest, which are a touch yellower. Not tan, not brown, but more yellow. You would think that choosing a yellow foundation would solve that issue but the mixed undertone of my face (a pink-white in the middle and a yellowy-beige on the perimeter) would necessitate either using two different foundations every time or finding a good compromise between the two shades and finishing up with a powder type product to give the look cohesion. I typically settle for the second option.

In using the Dior Diorskin Nude Tan Healthy Glow Enhancing Powder in Sunlight, I found myself not so much getting that cohesive somewhat even glow that I was hoping for. When I put it on, it seems to lean on the pinkish side of light bronze and unfortunately enhances the pink tones in the center of my face but doesn't quite gel with the yellower parts of me. Does that make sense to you?

The powder is fine. It's a great texture, lightly pigmented but absolutely buildable and the glow you get is very subtle. Use it with a looser haired brush and you can sweep it all over your face as a finishing product. Use it with the accompanying mini kabuki brush (which is lovely, by the way) and you can pick up more pigment which you can try to contour with and/or use to concentrate more color in certain areas. You're not left shimmering from bronzer but you get a glow from it. But the color of the pigment just doesn't look right on me. I even went to a Dior counter and had the associate critique how it looked on me. He agreed that I looked more pink than I probably want to. This is the part that's tricky because I don't want people dismissing the bronzer because I said it's not right for me. This is a very good product. On me, there's just a little something off.

As I looked at it in the pan more closely, the tones actually reminded me of my favorite bronzer/blush product. The also sheer but buildable Guerlain Terracotta Light Sheer Bronzing Powder in 01 Blondes that I discovered last year has more or less the same colors in the mosaic. Color-wise, the only real difference I see between them in the pans is that Guerlain's has a few blocks of a dark, shimmery golden bronze. In my mind, that should have made Dior's product look more natural but on me, it enhances that very thing which I want to balance out with my bronzer. Pink tones give you that healthy look, I get that. But I have a lot of natural pinkness to my face and what I want is something more golden. In this regard, Guerlain seems to work so much better for me.



Guerlain 01 Blondes on left, Dior 002 Sunlight on right

Inasmuch as I feel that bronzer swatches are generally unhelpful, I tried my darndest to photograph Sunlight and next to it, my old Guerlain 01 Blondes. The colors are close. Even the swatches look so similar. But I really noted the pigmentation differences when I swatched them. It took two swipes to get that color with Guerlain. It took at least twice that to get the same heft in color with Dior. I used exactly the same kind of brush for the swatches. They're both supposed to be light and sheer but Dior's is definitely sheerer. Both products are perfectly wonderful, one just works better for my purposes.

If you were not able to see the preview post for this Dior product, more pictures can be found here. If you want to read about and see pictures of the new Guerlain Terracotta Sheer Bronzing Powder in 04 Sun Blondes, click here.

6 comments:

  1. So would you say it will be a good bronzer if I'm really pale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little reluctant to recommend this as a traditional bronzer because I don't think that this product was designed for that purpose. The paler you are, the more likely that you'll see pigment when you wear this. But it takes a dense brush and a good number of layers to see color. It actually reminds me of an old Shiseido product called a multi-shade enhancer which people complained didn't show up when they wore it. I think it wasn't designed to show up heavily but just to give you a semi-bronzy glow. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  2. I love your blog! I love all your posts and the way you write is entertaining. I would be glad if you looked at my new blog, I just started it yesterday:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll surely have a peek :) Have a good one!

      Delete
  3. I've been debating getting this because of the price but it's just so gorgeous and after seeing your swatch of it I've decided that I absolutely have to have it!:) Thanks for the great post!

    www.julianneinjune.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is lovely. And the brush is magnificently useful! I'm sure you will enjoy it :)

      Delete