Monday, March 19, 2012

L'Oreal Colour Riche Balm SPF15 in 518 Tender Mauve

I had bought a couple of L'Oreal nail polishes at my local CVS and thought I'd pick up one of these babies to get some ExtraBucks Rewards. I'm always in the market for lip balm. Who doesn't need lip balm, right?




First, love the packaging on this. Makes you feel like you've purchased a pricier lipstick than a simple lip balm from the drugstore. Pull off the cap, twist up and you get a load of the pretty color...






Next comes the disappointing part. Because I've been deluded by the pretty packaging, I suppose I expected as much pigment as, say, a Chanel Rouge Coco Shine, which the L'Oreal Colour Riche Balm is clearly NOT. To that end, these balms are more in line with your run of the mill Chapstick. L'Oreal fulfills their promise of high shine and brilliant moisture but falls short on pigment. These are in fact, so sheer, that I imagine buying ten different shades and having them all look so alike on my lips. That swatch above? Took about 15 swipes maybe?

And yet, I've been reaching for this lip balm a fair bit because I really like the light, moist feel on my lips. It's mildly scented, if that's a concern. It doesn't bother me. I think the odor is rather sweet. For whatever pigment might actually translate, I've found that lining my lips almost completely with a nude lip liner helps. I think the idea is that if you've got a product that the L'Oreal Colour Riche Balm can adhere to, you may actually see the pigment better. Another option is to use this balm to simply add shine to lips after you've put on a less than shimmery lipstick. Say, if you want to mute a dark mauve lipstick and add shine to lips, top it with this. Or, for that bare look, just slick it on. It feels good.


L'Oreal Colour Riche Balm in Tender Mauve with Chanel Natural Lip Definer as base

3 comments:

  1. Do you know what ingredients are in this product? I can't find ingredients for Loreal's newer lip products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on L'Oreal's website. The active ingredients are Octinoxate and Octisalate (which provide the sunscreen factor) and the rest are listed here: http://www.lorealparisusa.com/_us/_en/default.aspx#/?page=top{userdata//d+d//|diagnostic|main:pdp//objectid+Cos7j_1//{pdp_tab:pdp_ingredients//objectid+Cos7j_1//}|media:_blank|nav|overlay:_blank}

      The product comes with an ingredients list on a sticker on the side but it was too small to easily photograph.

      Delete
  2. I've been wondering about these balms. Very helpful post, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete