Thursday, March 15, 2012

Laura Mercier Custom Artist Portfolio for Home and Away

Nordstrom triple points has started and I picked up my Laura Mercier Portfolio (with GWP). I am so excited to show it to you!


Laura Mercier Custom Artist Portfolio for Home and Away

It took me a bit of deliberation before deciding to get this item because of the hefty price tag. $98 is no joke. I mean, it's basically a makeup bag/kit but without the makeup included! Not that filling this up would be a challenge for me... but that's not the point.

The Portfolio package includes 4 zippered mesh bags, a removable brush page/holder and a refillable 6-well and 3-well compact. Everything is encased in a hard shell zippered portfolio case that keeps everything nicely organized.






Custom Compacts from the back, makeup not included

The Portfolio measures 11.5" x 9.5" x 2.5" by my ruler, give or take a half inch extra on the width depending on how much you stuff in it. It is by no means small but feels a lot less bulky than a traincase. It can be packed nicely into a suitcase without having to worry that your precious makeup and brushes will be crushed beyond recognition because it has a hard shell. I would probably still pack most of the contents of the little bags into a Ziploc just because I'm anal like that but I don't think that any of it will spill all over the portfolio or into your suitcase. Having it all in one place beats the old system I had of packing 3 zippered cases and stuffing them in various places around my bag.


Medium-sized Mesh Bags, top bag flipped to show non-mesh back

Large Mesh Bag on bottom, Small Mesh Bag on top with back showing

Right side of Portfolio with bags removed

The mesh bags are zippered and they are mesh on one side but not on the back. There are magnets on the back of the bag that attach them to the portfolio. This means: you can remove them if you don't want all of them in the portfolio, you can rearrange them (albeit with limited arrangement options), and they won't move around once you've put them in their place.


Empty brush page

Brush page opened and filled up with various brushes

The brush page holds 2 large brushes and 6 smaller ones. This is perfect for a large fluffy powder brush and a large duo fiber, a concealer brush and 5 eye brushes, probably the lot that I tend to bring on every trip. If you prefer not to squish your brushes into the center of the portfolio and instead bring a separate brush roll, the page can be unzipped and removed from the portfolio so you can put more things in there. Good idea!


Open Portfolio with Brush Page removed

Large Mesh Bag and Small Mesh Bag filled up

Just to show what the portfolio would look like with contents packed in, I filled it up with various Laura Mercier products on hand. The largest mesh bag can fit at least 4 tubes of Laura Mercier foundation product. It evens fits the bonus size tubes of primer/tinted moisturizer. You could have them sideways like I did or you could have them standing, like in the Laura Mercier promotional pictures.

I filled the smallest mesh bag with mostly eye products. It holds quite a number of pencils so you can fill it up with eyeliners, mascara, stick eyeshadows, lip liners and even lip gloss. However, I decided to put my lip products in one of the medium-sized mesh bags on the left side of the portfolio. I was able to fit three regular-sized lip glosses, 2 small pots of lip shines and one powder compact. If the compacts are thin, you could probably even fit two in there but I didn't want it to be too bulky. I stashed the included refillable compacts in the medium-sized mesh bag on the bottom. You could probably fit one more 3-well compact in there if you plan to use this case to store all of your makeup at home.


Medium-sized Mesh Bags above



Ordinarily, I would feel that a hundred bucks is exaggerated for a makeup organizer but this isn't quite your Caboodle from high school. I'm really happy with the design of the portfolio. I think the bags will hold up very well as construction seems to be pretty good overall. The zippers are easy to open and close but seem secure. The little mesh bags come in the signature colors of brand, peppered with that metallic faux snakeskin in a lighter brown shade that is also the material of the Portfolio itself. If I could make any improvements to it whatsoever, I may add a tiny slit compartment on the outside of the portfolio or on the back of the brush page so that I could slip a few pieces of paper in there. It would have been a dream if the bags were washable too! But really, I have no complaints. If you're looking to get organized, this is a fantastic idea.


8 comments:

  1. Hello ! I'm so jealous 'cause I'm so in love with this Laura Mercier Portfolio! I want it! By the way, I just linked your review on my website and I hope it's not a problem, otherwise I can remove it. Your blog is one of my favorite US blogs ! Have a nice day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhh I want it soooo much=)) Gorgeous makeup bag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I just ordered mine two days ago after reading your post and I can't wait to get it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it as much as I do mine! :)

      Delete
  5. I got it today and I do love it! Not only is it pretty (I got the pinwale-looking one), I know it'll work well for me. Super happy, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete