Thursday, March 8, 2012

Guerlain Météorites Illuminating & Mattifying Compact Pressed Powder

I rarely touch up my foundation during the day but I like carrying pressed powder with me. It has to be small but have a mirror and it should be something that can be applied over foundation without drying my skin, caking or looking like I added a layer. I tried carrying blotting papers with me instead of pressed powder before but I miss having that mirror since I refresh my lipstick a lot.




Perusing a small Guerlain display at Sephora one time, I decided to buy the Météorites Pressed Powder Compact. It appealed to me aesthetically. It was the prettiest little mirrored compact with the gardenia design on the top. Surprisingly, it was also very light. As my purse weighed down my shoulder constantly, it felt like Guerlain was just what the doctor ordered.




The powder did not disappoint. Looking at it in the pan, I worried that it would be too fair for me but it does have a rather translucent effect and 02 Teint Beige was actually perfect. The texture of the powder is very impressive. It is very fine and smooth, which is about as much as I'd expect for .23 oz of powder at $56. (It also comes with a velvet pouch and a puff. The puff is washable. I've done it.)

The trickier part is actually gauging whether or not it truly had an illuminating and mattifying effect. It's a powder so mattifying seems like a given. But I had a hard time reconciling the idea of both illuminating and mattifying since it seemed to me like most illuminating products were either shimmery or had a pearlized finish and isn't that kind of the exact opposite of mattifying? This powder reduces shine, as most powders do and it does not change the color of my foundation. It also does not cake. I don't feel "illuminated" but the matte finish doesn't look chalky so it really is an excellent powder in all respects. This is a staple in my purse. The lightness of the compact is what makes it a real winner for me. Although I imagine that not everyone would be willing to pay that much for a little pressed powder. If you touch up constantly, you would be buying this a lot.




One thing that might not appeal to some is the signature violet smell. Most Guerlain powder products have that scent and I personally don't mind it. It goes away a few minutes after application. The shade range is also very limited. I can't imagine the selections working for everybody despite it being mostly translucent. However, if your budget allows and you want to treat yourself to something really nice, this is worth a try. Your shoulders and back will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment