Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Goody Simple Styles Spin Pin and Mini Spin Pins

Having had long hair for almost my entire life, I buy a lot of Goody products. I purchase mainly hair elastics since I'm in a pony tail ninety percent of the time. The other ten percent switches between long and loose, a half up/half down style with the "up" part usually cinched by a large barrette or a loose braided style pulled into a bun held together by a large claw clip. I will admit that I'm not very adept at fixing my hair, despite being told that I have really "cooperative" hair. Perhaps it is because of that "cooperativeness" that I haven't learned to do much to it. Mostly, I can't seem to find the time. If I brush it neatly, it pretty much stays in place.

There are times though, when I feel like I want a little style. I was really hopeful about the Goody Spin Pins as they seem to be loved by a large group of people. I bought the large ones for me and the mini ones for my preschooler.




The Goody Simple Styles Spin Pin comes in a box with two spin pins like the ones pictured above. You get three for the mini spin pins, along with some instructions on how to use the product.





It's not that hard. You make a pony tail and twist it into a bun then you corkscrew the spin pins in place. One goes on top, the other secures the bottom. The mini spin pins are about two-thirds the size of the regular large spin pins so if you have less hair, that may work better.


mini spin pin on left, regular spin pin on right

In theory, these should work nicely. But when confronted with hair like mine (medium to thick strands, generally straight and smooth in texture, roughly 1.5" in diameter when tightly wound into a pony tail), the spin pins are simply no match. The bun always unravels within minutes, if I can even secure all of the hair with 2 large spin pins. I tried everything. Low buns, high buns, braided buns and I even tried using all five spin pins on one bun but it will not hold it. The only way to get the bun to stay in place is to divide my hair into two sections and make two very low Princess Leia buns on each side. I'm not interested in walking around as Princess Leia.

I've been able to get the single large bun to stay in place for longer than a few minutes by securing the buns with the two large spin pins and then using another set of hairpins in several other places around the base of the bun. I use maybe seven or eight of the ones pictured below. They're also from Goody although I have forgotten what they are called.




The mini spin pins are completely useless to me. They will not hold up the half-pony, no matter what I do. For some reason though, they won't seem to hold my daughter's hair in place either. She doesn't have nearly half as much hair as I do and the strands are finer but they are probably just too smooth and/or too short right now.

I've had these spin pins for quite awhile and I hate to be part of that small majority that does not think this product works well but the spin pins don't seem to work for us :( I can't help but wish that Goody would sell those old fashioned wire mesh bun holders I had as a kid. Know what I'm talking about? Noone seems to sell them in this part of the world. Get me a large one of those and 8 bobby pins and we're good to go.

4 comments:

  1. ugh, my original comment got eaten.

    But --

    I have similar hair to yours -- medium/thick, straight, and too slippery for more hair gadgets. But the spin pins DO work! (with help. Two elastic bands.) To make a secure bun,

    1. Tie a loose ponytail with elastic.
    2. Curl the ponytail around into a bun form, tucking in the ends. Secure this with another elastic, preferably one of similar color to your hair. This bun doesn't need to be tight or very secure (it won't be, anyway, with only elastic holding it).
    3. Fluff the bun into the shape you want. I usually fluff enough to cover the elastic underneath.
    4. Secure with the spin pins. I actually found the mini ones more useful and more secure than the large ones in straight hair, because you get more of the mini ones. I usually use 3 mini ones to make 1 bun.

    I do wish the spin pins would work by themselves, but I think that's more for the curlier-haired ladies. We of slippery-straight hair need a bit more help. But I find the spin pins + 2 elastics help make for a classic bun that's super easy to do once you get the hang of it and it stays all day without additional hairspray or whatever.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm that's a bit of a bummer! I was thinking of picking these up from the drugstore...but now might rethink it if they don't seem to work any better than normal bobby pins. Nice review :)

    http://alittlebeautylux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the honest review. I have always wanted to try these but I fear they will not work for my hair. Your review has definitely save me money. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just discovered the mini ones, I have long but very fine hair and I am delighted with them. 3 mini spin pins holds my bun all day. I did try the large ones first but didn't think the poking out ends were a cool look! I personally think the knack to wearing these is getting just the right angle on the pins and grabbing into them at the start of the twist some of your hair that is flat to your head first then scooping up the edge of the bun. They are fab but do need practise! My first attempts were rubbish! Hope this may help and give encouragement. Good luck

    ReplyDelete