Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Chanel Vitalumière Aqua Fresh & Hydrating Cream Compact Makeup SPF15

I was so excited to receive my new Vitalumière Aqua Cream Compact that I used it straightaway as soon as it arrived. Having purchased the Vitalumière Aqua foundation and totally loving it, I was prepared to be blown away by the compact.




It is a nice compact. Round-shaped, black, with a mirror and a sponge. The makeup itself has a second lid to keep the product from drying out. Instructions say to make sure it is closed properly after each use.






I had seen the testers at my local Nordstrom after I'd received my compact and feel pretty sure that the shade I have is correct. I use 20 Beige all across the brand's new foundation products and don't really have any issues with skin-matching. Having said that, I was rather letdown by this product :(





My disappointment is primarily on the application. I've found that to achieve a natural finish, this must be used sparingly. But I have a hard time controlling the amount that goes on, whether I use the accompanying sponge (dry use only) or a brush. I have many foundation brushes and tried a number of them with this cream because the sponge wasn't working out too well for me. For the most part, I feel that I usually end up with too little product in certain areas and too much product in others. And I cannot, for the life of me, blend it down enough without rubbing my skin. First, I don't have the time or the patience to keep blending it down when I can use something else that works better. Second, I get reactive redness, especially in the cheek area. Any product that requires a little more effort to blend in does not agree with me. The problem is, if it's not blended in very well, it looks like it's sitting on top of the skin.

I have also found that this foundation can adhere unflatteringly to dry patches. I am prone to that on my nose and cheek areas and Chanel's Vitalumière Aqua Cream Compact Makeup simply doesn't look good unless I've just exfoliated and layered on three different moisturizers (I kid you not). And talk about hard to remove! It has proven more difficult to clean the brushes that I've used this product with. I finally decided that the only way to go is to use a disposable sponge as it stains sponges as well.


20 Beige

I had been testing a generous sample of Guerlain's Lingerie de Peau Compact Foundation and thought I'd hold out until I've tested this. I think now, I can safely say that Guerlain beat out Chanel by a mile. Lingerie de Peau blends more easily and melts into the skin. Somehow, I haven't had that experience with this Chanel product. With much effort, I can make it look good but I must set it with a foundation powder every time. This makes me think that when it looks good, it's because what I'm seeing is the foundation powder I've put on top of it. Used by itself, I think the Chanel Vitalumière Aqua Cream Compact Makeup doesn't quite cut it. Sorry to say, this one's not for me.


2 comments:

  1. I love compacts. maybe mat lumiere compact is better than it!
    Visit my blog!
    Misspeony
    http://www.armocromia.com/2012/05/chanel-bombay-express-la-collection.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, it's me again :) after reading your review on pro lumiere, i started perusing some more. i'm happy i didn't listen to the SA yesterday after she tried to sell me this product! and thank you for existing ;) i've had the mindset to purchase really good foundations only since I don't wear it often...you have an awesome archive of high-end foundation reviews (many of which i'm curious about) to help me narrow down my decision! thank you x10.

    ReplyDelete