Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chanel Skincare: Le Blanc Collection



I received a postcard in the mail a few weeks ago, an invitation to receive a sample of the just-launched Le Blanc Skincare line from Chanel. I love a good sample bag as much as the next person and this one was definitely a goodie. Enclosed in a tiny white drawstring pouch were samples of the Fresh Brightening Foam Cleanser, the Brightening Moisture Lotion (toner), the Brightening Concentrate Continuous Action TXC (serum) and the Brightening Moisture Cream. The only item I did not receive a sample of from the line is the UV Essentiel Multi-Protection Daily UV Care SPF 50 but this is ok as I really like my current SPF regimen.







What I've been told is that this line was developed at Chanel's Japanese laboratories and the goal is to brighten skin. The technology developed uses two main active ingredients: a pearl protein extract derived from Akoya pearls and TXC, a brightening ingredient. TXC is trademarked and according to Chanel literature "is the first brightening ingredient registered by a Western company in Japan, to receive quasi-drug status (Japan's equivalent of FDA approval)." My understanding is that TXC targets dark spots and significant results (a reduction of the dark spot pigmentation density) can be expected in 8-12 weeks of use. I am interested in the line but it's hard to say whether I can keep up a regimen for that long before seing results. Like many people, I look for instant gratification.

My other reservations are based on the fact that where I grew up, this would have been marketed as a skin whitening product. Being based in the US now, I'm not certain how this is marketed in Asia. Having fairer skin than most of my peers (from being mixed-race), I never bought into the hype. I recall past work on some Pond's commercials that talk about the use of pearl extracts for products touted as skin whiteners and so the whole pearl thing doesn't feel new to me. I mean, that stuff was years ago and there's always that fear that I'm going to end up one of those people with a really light face but have darker skin from the neck down. After all, these products are sold for facial care. As it is, my face is already fairer than my neck but things are evened out nicely with a light dusting of bronzer in the right places. Maybe I'll try it for a little bit. We'll see.

Chanel's Le Blanc Collection is now at counters and online.

UPDATE 3/12/12: I really like the cleanser! I think the face feels so smooth after using it. But looking it up, the full size is $60. I think I need to think about that a little more.

UPDATE 3/23/12: Having used up the samples provided, I think I'm not going to jump in. The cleanser is very nice but I don't think I can justify the price tag. The rest of the products (toner, serum, moisturizer) do not seem to moisturize my skin enough when used together. After a few minutes, I feel a tinge of itchiness which tells me that either I'm dry or there's something in the products that inspires that sensation. Either way, I will have to look elsewhere for dark spot correction.

1 comment:

  1. Was looking into purchasing this product thank you for honest real deal truth about experience with this product.

    ReplyDelete