Monday, January 16, 2012

Mascara Quicknotes III: From Phenomen'Eyes to Unlimited

Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes Waterproof Mascara




I grabbed this tube of mascara last November, hoping to find a really good waterproof formula that will withstand heat and humidity. In Givenchy's Phenomen'Eyes mascara, I found a really beautiful dark black formula that clung well to lashes. Waterproof? It doesn't smudge on me but it's not completely waterproof. Good enough, is where I'd put it. Don't go swimming while wearing it.




The brush was creatively done and not at all hard to use. I find that it's easier to get individual lashes with it and know that I'm getting mascara on each and every one. But while I get each and every lash, I can't seem to get the hairs coated evenly all the way to the tip. Whenever I use Phenomen'Eyes, I find it much better to go through the lashes with a clean mascara wand as a second step. I really like it and I use it constantly but I prefer using it as a base formula and then I go over it with a lengthening mascara or a clean, separating mascara wand. The Lancome Hypnose Doll Lashes Mascara on top actually makes a pretty good combo with it. You get volume from Phenomen'Eyes and Lancome's Doll Lashes brush helps to get the product to the tip of the lashes while lengthening and adding curl.

Somebody needs to come up with a mascara that has the ball brush on one end with a volumizing formula and a separating and curling brush on the other end, with a lengthening formula. Now, that might just be the perfect mascara for me.


Dior DiorShow Unlimited Mascara




The DiorShow Unlimited mascara promises lengthening and curling. This is another mascara that seems to benefit from layering with another mascara. I bought this off Nordstrom's website and in the product page, you'll actually see a recommendation to use it with the original DiorShow mascara. However, it doesn't say which one is to go on first. I ventured a guess that since Unlimited is a lengthening and curling formula, it seems to make sense to have Unlimited go over the original DiorShow. However, this is problematic for me in two ways. First, I have a real issue with the voluminous brush of the original DiorShow. Second, my DiorShow Unlimited seems to be a little on the dry side. Maybe the tube I received was old or maybe the formula is normally somewhat thick but this goes on a heavy mess whether layered or not.




The brush seems to be two-sided. One side has a half-moon curve and generally longer bristles. The other side has short stubby bristles, all of the same length. The two in one brush is an interesting idea but I'll be honest, I have a hard time telling which side is what when I'm putting it on. Was this designed for you to start on one side and curl into the other with the flick of a wrist? Perhaps it was designed so that you coat your lashes with the curved side and then separate them with the stubby side. Well I tried it several different ways and eventually gave up. The mascara goes on really thick (like the tube is drying up) and yet the formula takes a long time to dry on my lashes. I've definitely seen better mascara from Dior than this.


1 comment:

  1. If you're looking for a decent waterproof formula that makes lashes look fab too... DiorShow Waterproof is brilliant! (the original formula - i've not tried their more recent ones, my philosophy... if it ain't broke ...!

    ReplyDelete