Friday, January 20, 2012

L'Oreal Infallible 24 HR Eye Shadows (Eternal Black, Bronzed Taupe, Amber Rush, Infinite Sky)

I've been thrilled with a couple of drugstore finds lately. I've already talked about the Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Shadows which make an excellent base product for this next item. Meet the L'Oreal Infallible 24 HR Eye Shadow.



L'Oreal markets this as a waterproof, crease-resistant and fade-resistant eye shadow. While it may look like a cream shadow in the pot, it is actually a hybrid formula that comes somewhere in between cream and powder. If I had to choose one, I'd say, it's powder. More accurately, pressed pigment.




It's garnered comparisons to Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Intense Silk Eyeshadows and in most respects they really are the same. But the "Eyes to Kill" shadows usually have more than one pigment every pot. It gives the color added dimension and the effect isn't always the same. You might say, it's hard to predict, simply by looking into the pot, what color you are actually going to get. L'Oreal Infallible 24 HR Eye Shadows contain just one solid color in each pot. The other major difference is the price, with Armani's retailing for $32 a pot and L'Oreal's anywhere between $6-10.



Swatches in natural light, from left: Infinite Sky, Eternal Black, Bronzed Taupe, Amber Rush

Comparisons aside, these eye shadows are getting some really good attention. The 12 colors cover the spectrum from champagne to black, with many shades buildable to an intense metallic sheen. I've easily worked Bronzed Taupe and Amber Rush into my everyday roster. I've worked with those two shades individually and together. They look lovely either way. Eternal Black makes a good liner shade, barring a little bit of fallout from the glitter. Used wet, I've been able to line my upper lashline without issues though. On me, it doesn't transfer to the upper lid even after 8 hours of wear. Infinite Sky proved to be the disappointment in the bunch. While the other metallics applied evenly and didn't need multiple layers to dazzle, this sky blue shade seemed patchy in areas and adherence was troublesome, even with a base. With some effort, I can work with it but I wish I'd gotten Sultry Smoke or Midnight Blue instead.



Swatches in sunlight from left: Amber Rush, Bronzed Taupe, Infinite Sky

I agree with the waterproof part. I seem to be unable to wash these off completely with just water. With the Maybelline base on, it remained perfect all day. Creasing and fading didn't occur until the 8th hour of use without a primer or base. I'd worn Amber Rush on the first try, putting it on at 10am and it made a lovely lid wash but it started seriously creasing by 6pm. I put another layer on top of it and the problem was solved though. Not that I'd lug these around with me in my purse. The packaging leaves much to be desired as far as portability goes. I am not thrilled about having all these pots on my vanity right now. And you need to keep the lid. I don't mean the cap but the little grey lid that goes on top of the powder before you screw the cap on. I don't know if it's just to press the powder and keep it neat or if it helps keep the product from drying out too.


Bronzed Taupe

The taupe. Oh, the taupe. I am seriously loving Bronzed Taupe. I used the Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Shadow in Bad to the Bronze as a light base layer and applied Bronzed Taupe on top. Then I highlighted with a generic wheat shade under my brow and blended down into the crease to blur any lines. Eternal Black went on as a liner and with a coat of mascara, I was done.

To apply, I like using a cream shadow brush. For the swatches, I used a concealer brush, to mimic how it might be applied to the lid. Some people swear by sponge-tip applicators or just use fingers but both methods work out poorly for me. Get yourself a really good cream shadow brush. Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown make excellent ones. Or grab a concealer brush in the same shape as Chanel's No. 1 brush and application is a cinch.

I'll admit, learning to use the product without making a mess took me awhile. But for colors like Bronzed Taupe, the trouble was worth it. I really wish they'd released Burning Black in the US. I really would have loved a burgundy shade. I'm on the lookout for Iced Latte now. Walgreens has a Buy One Get One Half Off starting Sunday. I think I might grab a couple more shades then.

No comments:

Post a Comment