Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Laura Mercier Luster Eye Colour Duo in Dusk/Chocolate

Picking out vacation makeup is tricky for me. Some people take a respite from wearing makeup when travelling. I'm the complete opposite. Vacations mean pictures! Therefore, I must have the most flattering colors from my arsenal to help me along. The eye makeup is the trickiest part and the one I tend to vary with each trip. I do get tired of lugging around the same colors all the time but what plays the most important part in the selection process for me, is what the weather forecast at my destination looks like.

If you've not figured out yet where I was headed, the Mickey ears should've been the giveaway. Florida isn't as sunny, hot or humid in December as it is in the summer, so instead of going tropical, I went with my steady everyday shades of Laura Mercier Eye Shadow in Guava, Morning Dew and Bamboo, threw in the Ebony Cake Eyeliner, the African Violet Luster Eye Colour for variety and the duo Dusk/Chocolate which I got in a set (seems to be available only as part of that set for some reason). Dusk and Chocolate are available as individual pans but I appreciate the duo because it means I can bring one color more than usual and boy, was I ever glad I packed this one in.


Laura Mercier Luster Eye Colour Duo in Dusk/Chocolate

Surprise, surprise. I ended up basing all of my eye looks on this duo throughout the trip. It worked for day and night. It looked flattering but not overwhelming in pictures. Laura Mercier Eye Shadows, in my experience, offer colors that are easy to build and blend super well.




I start with an eye primer. For this trip, I went with Too Faced Shadow Insurance although in some looks I just used the Laura Mercier Metallic Creme Eye Shadow in Gold as the base. Then I tightline, right on the lashline, before applying powder shadow.


Left side: Dusk, Right side: Chocolate

I generally use a darker shade (Chocolate) for the outer corner and crease, the lighter shade (Dusk) from the inner corner building to the center of the lid and blending in with the dark. I've found that African Violet, applied sparingly, works nicely to pull the two colors together on the center of the lid and on the crease. I then work in a highlight, in this case Morning Dew, under the brow. With a clean pony tail brush, I blend from the outer corner to above the crease, blurring the lines across the way.


From left: Morning Dew, Dusk, Chocolate, African Violet

I finish with a fine line of black liquid eyeliner, as close to the lashline as possible, tracing what I'd done with a pencil liner. Then mascara. Although I brought my Ebony Cake Eyeliner with me, I ended up using a black Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes Eyeliner and the Lancome Artliner in Noir for all lining purposes. It worked well. No smudges even on warmer days!




Now that I've shared my current favorite eyeshadow combination, I'm off to photograph the brushes I used on the trip. I'd also like to squeeze in a review of the Lancome Hypnose Doll Lashes Mascara on the next post. Don't forget to click the links to Chocolate and African Violet wherever you see those words on this post. They'll have darker swatches of those colors to give you a better idea of how pretty they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment