Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Clinique Redness Solutions Instant Relief Mineral Powder

When given a sample of Clinique's Redness Solutions Instant Relief Mineral Powder, I was pretty excited to give the product a try.




I'm not the biggest fan of mineral powder formulas but Clinique's Redness Solutions line is pretty popular and I've used a few products from the line before (cleanser, moisturizer). It only made sense to try the makeup as well.

The product appears as a yellow loose powder. It reminds me a little of BE mineral makeup in texture. It's relatively light but does have some coverage. The photo above is a special sample size with a brush. The full-sized container is .84 oz and is sold for $32.50.

What I honestly don't get is why there would be a need to layer on so much product to cover up redness. I have redness on my cheeks but a green-tinted base (which they recommend for use with this powder) and a yellow mineral powder on top seems too much. For me, a decent foundation does the job of evening things out. So I tried this as a setting powder and I found that if applied sparingly and buffed in well, it can look acceptable. Even just a tiny bit extra will render a white cast over your foundation. It's light in feel but it does lean towards chalky if you're not careful.




I thought I'd try it another way so I used this powder like any other mineral powder makeup and went without liquid foundation. I just used the powder on primed skin and I'm disappointed to say that it does not cover up the redness enough and yet leaves the rest of my face some strange ashen hue. If I use the green-tinted primer with it, it's even worse. By virtue of how disappointing it looks, I just feel that this is not worth purchasing. While it may work to control reactive redness, the appearance just isn't up to snuff. I almost wonder if they were better off coming out with a foundation powder that does the same thing but comes in a variety of shades to match different skin tones. To use this powder only on areas that are red doesn't make sense because you would have uneven patches on your skin but using the yellow powder on the non-red parts of your face doesn't look good either. If you end up buying foundation that's too pink for you, this may actually work out nicely as a setting powder. Just be careful not to use too much. If you're looking for something that looks good over your perfect foundation or something to use in place of foundation, I suggest looking elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment