Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Too Faced Glamour To Go II Pocket Palette

It's October and stores have rolled out the holiday items, including gift ideas and stocking stuffers. Last year, I gave out a few of these Too Faced Pocket Palettes to friends. It helped that they had gone on sale and I remember picking them up for less than $20 apiece. Now this palette is $23 and there are two pocket palettes currently available from Sephora. I'd like to feature both of them, starting with the Glamour To Go II Pocket Palette which I will be swatching for you in this post.




The palette features 8 eyeshadows, 4 lip glosses and one blush in a card-sized package with a mirror. Open the lid to reveal the eyeshadows and the mirror and slide out the bottom section which houses the glosses and the blush. Actual dimensions are 2" x 3.25" and it is half an inch in thickness.






What's attractive about this palette is the variety of product that it contains and its portability. I've carried this around with me and I've also left it in a little kit in my car and the case has held up. I haven't had any problems with accidental opening or spillage. But because I'm concerned that it isn't as sturdy as one might hope, I keep it in the small plastic bag that it comes with. I'm certain that it helped. I've chucked the box simply because I've had this for so long although if it's not something you would use daily, I would store it in the box, for added security.






The item I like best in the palette is actually the blush, swatched heavily above. It's flattering on me and goes with a lot of things. It has a little shimmer but it applies somewhat sheerly, which is ok by me as I can build color more slowly. However, it does fade and it's one of the few blushes that I've actually felt the need to reapply throughout the day. The annoying thing for me (and this a pet peeve with many multi-product palettes in general) is that they've put the blush alongside the lip glosses and I can't stand it when powder spews on to the glosses. I'm tempted to just scoop them all out and throw them away. But if you like the design of the palette, think of it this way. When you finish up the product, you could refill the pans with your favorite lipsticks and have that whole bottom compartment filled with only cream products. That's what I'm going to do.




The lip glosses are a concoction of shimmer and frost. By itself, I only like the darkest plum shade (third from left in the above swatch) although it doesn't look very plum when on. Carry a tube of lipstick and top with these glosses, if you must use them all. On the up side, they sure smell nice!




The eyeshadows, if you notice in the flash picture above, are also all shimmery. But this isn't all bad. A modicrum of shimmer on the eyes can be quite nice and you can find a number of good pairings in this palette when you mix and match the shades. I don't think that any one shade stands out and I mostly use the neutrals (taupe, beige and brown). A young girl starting out with makeup might enjoy this much more than I did. It's affordable, the quality is acceptable, with a hint of powderiness but generally blendable. The colors don't apply very intensely but you can build them up.






The palette is made in China, which is no surprise considering the price. But I haven't had any adverse reactions to the product and liked it enough to give away as gifts. As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, there is another pocket palette available. It's the Dream Edition and I will be featuring that next. Just to whet your appetite, here is a side by side photo of both palettes. I'll run down the similarities and differences for you in the next post.


Glamour To Go II on left, Dream Edition on right

No comments:

Post a Comment