Friday, October 7, 2011

Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour

Laura Mercier launched the Caviar Sticks a couple of months ago and while at first, I didn't feel like jumping in to grab them, I had the opportunity to play with a few shades at a counter and decided to get a few. The first picture was taken with bright lighting and a white background. I picked the shades based on two things, what I thought was uniquely pretty and what my collection could use.


Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Plum, Jungle, Amethyst and Steel

The product seems like a cross between an eyeliner and a cream shadow, in stick form. It's highly reminiscent of NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils in my opinion but the very soft texture does call to mind the semi-cream Caviar Eye Liner from the brand. The delivery system, as far as sticks or pencils go, couldn't be more convenient. At least you won't have to deal with sharpening, which was my big beef with the Sephora Jumbo Eye Pencil. With this, just twist and go. However, I ordered a couple of these online and they arrived stuck to the cap. The order was replaced, which is good, but I had to wait. So I'd say this is an item best purchased from a store. Open it right there and make sure it didn't twist up by accident.




The texture is ultra-creamy and thus glides on very smoothly for application on the lid. I apply it to the lid like a pencil and spread it out using a cream shadow brush. A concealer brush should work just as well. I use this mostly as an eyeshadow base and top it with powder shadow and it does a nice job of giving sheerer powder shadows some depth. I've also found this to be nice under cream shadows. I know it seems strange but I've used it with the Laura Mercier Metallic Creme Eye Colours and also with the Chanel Illusion D'Ombre Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadows. It's really an excellent all-around base.


From left: Plum, Jungle, Amethyst and Steel

I've used this as an eyeliner and I was surprised that it actually stayed put. I was fully expecting it to migrate within an hour or two because of the soft texture but using the Smoky Eye Liner Brush to apply it to the upper and lower lashline, I've found that it stays in place rather well. You just need to make sure you don't use too much product. It can be applied sparingly and can be smudged within the first few seconds of application. It gives you just enough time to blend it out before it sets and you won't need to tug.


Swatches from left: Amethyst, Plum. Jungle and Steel

I saw someone wearing Jungle (the green one) and thought it looked fantastic on her. She got me interested in the product. But my personal favorite is Amethyst, which in pictures can look pink, or when swatched leans taupe, but it's really a shimmery taupe-lavender with a silvery rose finish. The other colors are straight-up as named, Plum being well, plum with no shimmer. Jungle is green, also no shimmer. Steel is grey. I was expecting it to be somewhat silvery but it really is a flat grey. I've used it the most, if only because I'm trying to find the right combination to use with it and it's been sorely disappointing. If you want to do a smoky eye with these, maybe try the more charcoal Smoke instead.




As far as the like factor goes, I think that these are just ok. I reach for them because they're right on my desk, not because they're a favorite product. They're creamy soft, blendable and long-lasting enough for most purposes. Once set, they don't really smudge on me so they work nicely as liner. They're not cheap ($24 apiece) and you don't really get a generous amount of product. However, I'd say I like these loads better than the Caviar Eye Liner in the pans, if only because of the delivery method. You could work in a couple of colors into your fall eye makeup routine and they will work well as either a soft, smoky liner or shadow. But prepare to have to mix and match with other products (powder shadow to set and perhaps cake eyeliner to tightline) for best results.

UPDATE: I've started to like these much more and have decided to get a few more shades. So far, all of them have performed well except for Steel, which is always patchy. Amethyst though, has been a favorite for lining the lower lashline. Sometimes I use a darker pencil liner on the waterline and part of the lashline and then I put this over that to set. With the variety of colors available, you'll surely find something to coordinate with your other eyeshadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment